• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's Speculate - Arcane Power

Shroomy

Adventurer
Yeah, yeah, the PHB2 is the new book on the block and I'm really looking forward to its release on Tuesday, but you know what else is coming out next week...the first excerpts from Arcane Power. I thought we'd could have some fun speculating on the book's contents. So far, we know it will cover bards, sorcerers, swordmages, warlocks, and wizards, and we also know about the new Vestige warlock pact, the Summoning wizard and its new tome implement (so unlike MP, AP will include new magic items), and familiars (something I really want for my artificer).

What else do you think it will cover? I have to say that I'm really interested in knowing about the alternate class features/builds for bards, swordmages, and especially sorcerers, since there is a such a difference between the Dragon and Chaos Sorcerer. My guess...something like the alienist, a Far Realms inspired sorcerer.

I got to say so far the most exciting thing i've seen is the preview info on the familiars. I really like the direction they went in. I can't wait to see the rest of the options.

The_Fan

First Post
Nope, confirmed arcane a loooooong time ago.

There was some speculation that they were primal, but that was Jossed somewhere around December.

I think they'll have builds that use alternate secondary ability scores. While they didn't do that for Martial Power, at least one of the designers mentioned it wasn't something they thought of at the time, but might be doing now.

ferratus

Adventurer
I speculate that the Illusionist will not use the shadow power source, but instead be an alternate build for the wizard like the "Summoner". I also guess that it will be in Arcane Power.

Kez Darksun

Explorer
Looking forward to more powers/builds for the swordmage & sorcerer. I too would love to see a revamp of the Alienist for 4th edition. I could then make use of my Pokethulhu miniatures for my new Alienists familiar.

Night

First Post
I'd love to see a wizard build based around necromancy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll save that for a book built around a Shadow power source and not mix it with the arcane. Given that I'd guess illusionist is a good bet; I just can't see necromancers or illusionists either one as strikers.

I feel pretty sure they'll throw warlocks another pact, as well -- though god only knows what it could be -- but moreover they'll almost certainly give them a much wider variety of paragon paths, because warlocks have just about the fewest choices come level 11 in the game right now.

Kez Darksun

Explorer
I feel pretty sure they'll throw warlocks another pact, as well -- though god only knows what it could be -- but moreover they'll almost certainly give them a much wider variety of paragon paths, because warlocks have just about the fewest choices come level 11 in the game right now.

Do you mean another pact in addition to the Vestige pact thats been revealed in advertising for Arcane Power?

Night

First Post
I totally forgot about that, actually! It didn't really stick in my mind because it seems like such a broad concept; callback to 3rd ed's Tome of Magic, isn't it?

Remove ads