• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's talk about chases, chase related products, and reasons to have them

iwatt

First Post
Other ideas I had:

Combat casting (+4 to Concentartion checks) helps with the mobile spellcasting.

Characters with mobility get the AC bonus to melee attacks.

Last night I ran a chase and decided that Rogues don't get sneak attack damage when attacking. What are your ideas on this subject? (ask because supposedly you loose your Dex bonus when running, but in HP: on foot your AC remains the same).

Quickleaf

Legend
iwatt said:
In complete Arcane (or adventurer?) there's a feat called Mobile spellcasting. It allows you to cast while moving. I think the Concentration check is something like DC 20+spell level to cast while taking a move action. The DC for casting while threatened is DC 25+spell level.
Th regular penalty for attacking while moving is -4 according to HP: On foot. For spring attackers (and shot on the runners ) I decided to remove the penalty. So I guess I do the same for Mobile caster (i.e apply a -4 to the Concentration check to those wiothout the feat). Anyhow, they'd still take the -4 for ranged touch attacks, and I'd make them make a spot check DC 15/20/25 (Open/Close/Tight) to target an Area of effect spell correctly.
This looks good, though I think the Concentration check DCs are a little high. Isn't a galloping horse considered DC 15? I think extraordinarily violent motion like an earthquake merits a DC 20.

The penalty to attack while moving looks kind of low. I don't know about you, but I'd have a hell of a time trying to fire a bow at someone while sprinting. Maybe the following manuever....

Heel Up
You sacrifice your movement to take a shot or cast a spell. You suffer no penalties to hit for moving, and you do not need to make a Concentration check. However, your target gets to move before you can shoot, possibly taking cover or increasing the range.

I like the Spot check to correctly aim at a moving target. I also think all spells that require a ranged attack should obey the normal range rules.

iwatt

First Post
Quickleaf said:
This looks good, though I think the Concentration check DCs are a little high. Isn't a galloping horse considered DC 15? I think extraordinarily violent motion like an earthquake merits a DC 20.

The penalty to attack while moving looks kind of low. I don't know about you, but I'd have a hell of a time trying to fire a bow at someone while sprinting. Maybe the following manuever....

Heel Up
You sacrifice your movement to take a shot or cast a spell. You suffer no penalties to hit for moving, and you do not need to make a Concentration check. However, your target gets to move before you can shoot, possibly taking cover or increasing the range.

I like the Spot check to correctly aim at a moving target. I also think all spells that require a ranged attack should obey the normal range rules.

About the checks: casting defensively is 15+SL. The DCs are straight out of the feat, didn't feel like changing them. Barsoomcore does encourage you to change DCs depending on your game style though. I like lot's of jumping and climbing, so I've lowered the DCs for those actions.

About the penalty: You might want to play test the effect. I'm thinking you're right, since all my chases lately have lasted way too little (orc runner always get's run down :D ) Maybe go with the mounted archery concept (-8 ---> -4 with the apropriate feat). But it definitely needs to be tested before.

Remove ads