• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's talk about chases, chase related products, and reasons to have them

derbacher

Explorer
Yep, I've been using Hot Pursuit for a few months now, and just downloaded the On Foot expansion yesterday to use for tonight's game. I am looking forward to the chase, especially after reading the example chase scene (which uses alleys, rooftops, climbing up a balcony, and other great stuff. Corey's rules are great!

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I'm really really really really pleased that so many people are happy with Hot Pursuit.

I was thinking that one of the problems with chases are terrain definitions, obstacle generation and stuff like that. As opposed to more rules. I think the rules pretty much cover most possibilities, but like folks have pointed out, it can be a stretch for a DM's imagination to come up with chase environment stuff on the fly.

It'd probably be useful to folks (not to mention fun to read) to have a site or a page somewhere where folks can post terrain and obstacle definitions that scrambling DMs can just yoink from -- sort of like the NPC wiki.

Hm. I think that's a GREAT idea. Take the "100 Ideas" thread type of thing and turn it into a permanent fixture on the web.

Who here thinks maybe EN World could host a d20 resource wiki?

Macbeth

First Post
I had my DM (BardStephenFox from these boards) run a chase in our D&D game using Hot Pursuit, and as a stand alone system, I would say it is th best. Lots in common with Spycraft Chases, which I think is a good thing. I don't really know much about the book (I never read it myself) but I thought it was great fun from player's poitn of view, and with a few handouts, all of the players had an idea what we could do and how we were going to do it.

Overall, our chase was a very fun session, something I would attribute at least in part to the rules behind it. We had characters de-horsed, picked up again, firing from the back of another horse, trying to board the wolves (worgs?) of the goblins that were attacking us... All in all, it was great.

The more I think about it, the more I think I may throw a chase into my superhero game tonight... May be time for me to finally buy Hot Pursuit.

GMSkarka

Explorer
barsoomcore said:
Oh, and um, everyone should go buy Hot Pursuit. Did I forget to mention that?

Smooth. That was so subtle, it was almost subliminal.

:D

...and, for the record, I totally agree with barsoomcore.

Jus' sayin'.

BSF

Explorer
I really like the rules for Hot Pursuit, but in the game that Macbeth is referring to, I think we got a little too bogged down in it. Though all the drawbacks were my fault as the DM. Primarily, I didn't streamline enough to keep the pace moving as quickly as I wanted. But Macbeth had fun, so it obviously wasn't terrible.

There were some neat scenes that came out as a result of the chase rules. It was fun. Next time will be better because I will know how to run it better. :)

Psion

Adventurer
Well, I chanced Mrs. Psion's wrath and downloaded Hot Pursuit and On Foot.

Must read more, but looks reasonable so far.

I like that there are no full attacks. I think that helps keep the tension up in chases (by lulling the impact of superior firepower.) Of course, this really makes me want to go forward with my skill point house rule I have been proposing, so more people can get the necessary ride/vehicle skills.

Psion

Adventurer
Having devoured hot pursuit:

It seems to me that there is a major thing I think needs more attention and a minor thing.

The major thing is spellcasting (mainly speaking of On Foot here). The prevailing assumption is that everyone is going as fast as they can. There are no rules to run and cast in the standard D&D rules, but there aren't rules to run and attack either, so you think that would be a common enough activity it might deserve some special attention.

Possible house rule add-on here is that you might be able to slow down and cast (losing ground on your opponent) or there might be a cast on the run feat that lets you do more. One hand on the wheel sort of covers this, but I think there should be a concentration check in there somewhere. Further, you have to consider spell ranges (though matching it up to the existing range categories seems easy, I would almost want to tack on the range modifiers to DC or require a touch attack roll to hit a moving target.)

The minor thing is feats. Some comments on RPGnow seem to be interested in new feats. I can mostly rip off Spycraft (I don't expect my PCs to take them, but there are action points), but I am really more interested in what the impact of existing feats like Shot on the Run or Mobility might be. I'd definitely think someone with mobility chasing on foot would get a bonus to swerve checks, for example, and someone with shot on the run would get some sort of bonus when firing while running.

iwatt

First Post
Psion said:
Having devoured hot pursuit:

It seems to me that there is a major thing I think needs more attention and a minor thing.

The major thing is spellcasting (mainly speaking of On Foot here). The prevailing assumption is that everyone is going as fast as they can. There are no rules to run and cast in the standard D&D rules, but there aren't rules to run and attack either, so you think that would be a common enough activity it might deserve some special attention.

Possible house rule add-on here is that you might be able to slow down and cast (losing ground on your opponent) or there might be a cast on the run feat that lets you do more. One hand on the wheel sort of covers this, but I think there should be a concentration check in there somewhere. Further, you have to consider spell ranges (though matching it up to the existing range categories seems easy, I would almost want to tack on the range modifiers to DC or require a touch attack roll to hit a moving target.)

The minor thing is feats. Some comments on RPGnow seem to be interested in new feats. I can mostly rip off Spycraft (I don't expect my PCs to take them, but there are action points), but I am really more interested in what the impact of existing feats like Shot on the Run or Mobility might be. I'd definitely think someone with mobility chasing on foot would get a bonus to swerve checks, for example, and someone with shot on the run would get some sort of bonus when firing while running.

Some of your queries were discussed in this thread.

About spellcasting. No one really brough it up before, so let's take a look at it ;) .

So let's take a look at it:

In complete Arcane (or adventurer?) there's a feat called Mobile spellcasting. It allows you to cast while moving. I think the Concentration check is something like DC 20+spell level to cast while taking a move action. The DC for casting while threatened is DC 25+spell level.

Th regular penalty for attacking while moving is -4 according to HP: On foot. For spring attackers (and shot on the runners :D) I decided to remove the penalty. So I guess I do the same for Mobile caster (i.e apply a -4 to the Concentration check to those wiothout the feat). Anyhow, they'd still take the -4 for ranged touch attacks, and I'd make them make a spot check DC 15/20/25 (Open/Close/Tight) to target an Area of effect spell correctly.

As a side note: Spring attacking Barbarian/Rogues will own any chase ;) Specially when they maxed out balance in order to fight on ice.

EDIT: Dang, Hand of Evil beat me to it... ;)

Remove ads