• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level 23 Halfling Wizard-Roque, Battle Mage, Mythic Shadow

Scalding

First Post
I was looking at the character progression, when it occurred to me that with all the Wizard powers in the PrRC, that I might be able to craft a character above level 1. It turns out, we're missing a lot at low levels, so in order to do this I had to choose a high enough level to have most of the necessary powers available. The lowest level I could do this at was 23, and all that's missing are the Paragon powers. So, without further ado, I present you:

[sblock=Lenny the Splenderificious]
"I can disappear, fly, and do all manner of wondrous things, and you're telling me Splederificious isn't a word?"

Halfling Wizard (Battle Mage) 23

Str 10 (+0, +11)
Dex 14 (+2, +13)
Con 12 (+1, +12)
Int 22 (+6, +17)
Wis 10 (+0, +11)
Cha 14 (+2, +13)

AC 27, Fort 22, Ref 27, Will 25
HP 136 Bloodied 68
Healing Surges 7 Healed 34
Init +13

Languages: Common

[sblock=Race Features]Bold
+5 on Saving throws vs. fear​
Nimble Reaction
+2 AC against Opportunities Attacks​
Second Chance
Luck and small size combine to work in your favor as you dodge your enemy’s attack.
Encounter ♦ Immediate Interrupt Personal
Effect:
When an attack hits you, force an enemy to roll the attack again. The enemy uses the second roll, even if it’s lower.​
Normal Vision
[/sblock]

[sblock=Class Features]See Cantrips
Arcane Implement Mastery
Wand of Accuracy (once per encounter as a free action, gain a +2 bonus to an attack roll; you must be wielding your wand)​
Sneak Attack
Once per encounter, when you have combat advantage against an enemy and are using a light blade, a crossbow, or a sling, your attacks against that enemy deal extra 5d8 damage.​
Arcane Reposte
Imbued with magical might, your hands bristle with arcane energy in the heat of battle. When a creature provokes an opportunity attack from you, make an opportunity attack with one of your hands (Dexterity vs. AC). Choose cold, fire, force, or lightning. You deal 1d8 + Intelligence modifier damage of that type with this attack.​
Battle Mage Action
When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you also gain a +4 bonus to attack rolls until the start of your next turn.​
Battle Edge
When you first become bloodied in an encounter, you can use any at-will power you know as an immediate reaction.​
Improved Precision Damage
Increase the size of your precision (Sneak Attack) damage dice by one step.​
Phantom Visage
You are under a constant greater invisibility effect. You can suppress or resume this effect as a minor action.​
[/sblock]

[sblock=Skills]Passive Insight +21
Passive Perception +28
Acrobatics +20
Arcana +22
History +22
Insight +11
Nature +11
Perception +18
Thievery +20
[/sblock]

[sblock=Feats]Danger Sense
Roll twice for initiative, use the higher result.​
Devastating Critical
Deal additional 1d10 damage on a critical hit.​
Lasting Frost
Target hit with cold power gains vulnerable cold 5.​
Second Implement
Gain mastery with second arcane implement.​
Underfoot
Move through spaces of Large or larger creatures.​
Action Surge
+3 to attacks on actions gained from action points.​
Alertness
You don’t grant enemies combat advantage in surprise rounds. You also gain a +2 feat bonus to Perception checks.​
Burning Blizzard
Increases by 1 point all damage caused by cold and acid.​
Defensive Mobility
+2 to AC against opportunity attacks.​
Lost in the Crowd
+2 AC when adjacent to two larger enemies.​
Skill Training: Perception
Make one untrained skill trained, granting a +5
bonus.​
Toughness
When you take this feat, you gain additional hit points equal to your level + 3. You also gain 1 additional hit point every time you gain a level.​
Sneak of Shadows
Rogue Cross Class: Thievery skill, Sneak Attack 1/encounter​
Acolyte Power
Swap one utility power with one of Rogue
[/sblock]

[sblock=Cantrips]Ghost Sound
With a wink, you create an illusory sound that emanates from somewhere close by.
At-Will ♦ Arcane, Illusion
Standard Action Ranged
Target: One object or unoccupied square
Effect: You cause a sound as quiet as a whisper or as loud as a yelling or fighting creature to emanate from the target. You can produce nonvocal sounds such as the ringing of a sword blow, jingling armor, or scraping stone. If you whisper, you can whisper quietly enough that only creatures adjacent to the target can hear your words.​
Light
With a wave of your hand, you cause a bright light to appear on the tip of your staff, upon some other object, or in a nearby space.
At-Will ♦ Arcane
Minor Action Ranged
Target: One object or unoccupied square
Effect: You cause the target to shed bright light. The light fills the target’s square and all squares within 4 squares of it. The light lasts for 5 minutes. Putting out the light is a free action.
Special: You can have only one light cantrip active at a time. If you create a new light, your previously cast light winks out.​
Mage Hand
You gesture toward an object nearby, and a spectral floating hand lifts the object into the air and moves it where you wish.
At-Will ♦ Arcane, Conjuration, Force
Minor Action Ranged
Effect: You conjure a spectral, floating hand in an unoccupied square within range. The hand picks up, moves, or manipulates an adjacent object weighing 20 pounds or less and carries it up to 5 squares. If you are holding the object when you use this power, the hand can move the object into a pack, a pouch, a sheath, or a similar container and simultaneously move any one object carried or worn anywhere on your body into your hand. As a move action, you can move the hand up to 5 squares. As a free action, you can cause the hand to drop an object it is holding, and as a minor action, you can cause the hand to pick up or manipulate a different object.
Sustain Minor: You can sustain the hand indefinitely.
Special: You can create only one hand at a time.​
[/sblock]

[sblock=At-Will]Ray of Frost
A blisteringly cold ray of white frost streaks to your target.
At Will ♦ Arcane, Cold, Implement
Standard Action Ranged
Target: One creature
Attack: Int vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d6 + Int cold damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.​
Scorching Burst
A vertical column of golden flames burns all within.
At-Will ♦ Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Area
burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Int vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + Int fire damage.​
[/sblock]

[sblock=Encounter](Paragon) ?
Frostburn
You whisper a word of elemental power and hurl a flaming ball of ice. Waves of fire and ice explode outward from the point of impact.
Encounter ♦ Arcane, Cold, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Area
burst 2 within 20 squares
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier cold and fire damage.
Effect: This power’s area is difficult terrain until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn in the area takes 5 cold and fire damage. You can dismiss the effect as a minor action.​
Prismatic Burst
You lob a fist-sized orb of pulsating white light some distance away, blasting creatures in the area with rays of multicolored light.
Encounter ♦ Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Area
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier radiant damage, and the target is blinded until the end of your next turn.​
Thunderlance
A thunderous pulse of concussive energy rolls from your hand, bowling over your enemies.
Encounter ♦ Arcane, Implement, Thunder
Standard Action Close
blast 5
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Wisdom vs Reflex
Hit: 4d6 + Intelligence modifier thunder damage, and you push the target 4 squares.​
[/sblock]

[sblock=Daily](Paragon) ?
Choose 2 after extended rest:
Bigby's Grasping Hands
Two hands of glowing golden force materialize, grab a couple of your foes, and slam them together.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Conjuration, Force, Implement
Standard Action Ranged
Effect: You conjure two 5-foot tall hands of force, each one occupying 1 square within range. Each hand attacks one adjacent creature. A hand that is not grabbing a target can be moved and made to attack a new target within range as a move action. The hands last until the end of your next turn.
Targets: One or two creatures
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier force damage, and the hand grabs the target. If the target attempts to escape, the hand uses your Fortitude or Reflex defense.
Special: If the hands have each grabbed an enemy, you can slam the enemies into each other as a standard action, dealing 2d10 + Intelligence modifier force damage to each grabbed target. After the attack, each hand returns to its original square with its grabbed target.
Sustain Minor: The hands persist.​
Blast of Cold
You create a tremendous blast of supernatural cold, freezing your enemies.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Cold, Implement
Standard Action Close
blast 5
Target: Each enemy in blast
Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
Hit: 6d6 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and the target is immobilized (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).​
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
You trap your enemy in a transparent, immobile globe of impenetrable force.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Conjuration, Force, Implement
Standard Action Ranged
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
Hit: You conjure a sphere of force that fills the target’s entire space until the end of your turn. The target is immobilized and an’t attack anything outside its own space. Creatures outside the sphere can’t attack the target, and the sphere blocks objects and creatures attempts to pass through it. The sphere, though impenetrable, is not impervious to
damage. Attacks against the sphere automatically hit, and it has 100 hit points.
Sustain Minor: If your attack roll was successful, you can sustain the sphere.
Miss: The target is immobilized (save ends).
Special: Instead of attacking an enemy, you can put the sphere around yourself or a willing ally within range without making an attack roll.​
Prismatic Beams
Scintillating beams of rainbow-colored light spring from your outstretched hand, affecting your foes in unpredictable ways.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Fire, Implement, Poison
Standard Action Close
burst 5
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Intelligence vs Fortitude, Reflex, Will
Hit (Fortitude): If the attack hits the target’s Fortitude defense, the target takes 2d6 + Intelligence modifier poison damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).
Hit (Reflex): If the attack hits the target’s Reflex defense, the target takes 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
Hit (Will): If the attack hits the target’s Will defense, the target is dazed (save ends).
Special: You make only one attack per target, but compare that attack result against all three defenses. A target might be subject to any, all, or none of the effects depending on how many of its defenses were hit. The target must make a saving throw against each ongoing effect separately.​
Wall of Ice
A wall of glittering, jagged ice appears at your command.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Cold, Conjuration, Implement
Standard Action Area
wall 12 within 10 squares
Effect: You conjure a solid wall of contiguous squares filled with arcane ice. The wall can be up to 12 squares long and up to 6 squares high. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the wall takes 2d6 + Intelligence modifier cold damage. The wall blocks line of sight and prevents movement. No creature can enter a square containing the wall.
Special: As a standard action, a creature can attack on square of the wall. Each square has 50 hit points. Any creature that makes a melee attack against the wall takes 2d6 cold damage. The wall has vulnerability 25 to fire. If the wall is not destroyed, its melts away after 1 hour.​
Choose 1 after extended rest:
Acid Arrow
A shimmering arrow of green, glowing liquid streaks to your target and bursts in a spray of sizzling acid.
Daily ♦ Acid, Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Ranged
Primary Target: One creature
Attack: Int vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d8 + Int acid damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends). Make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: Each creature adjacent to the primary target
Secondary Attack: Int vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Int acid damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and ongoing 2 acid damage to primary target (save ends), and no secondary attack.​
Sleep
You exert your will against your foes, seeking to overwhelm them with a tide of magical weariness.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Implement, Sleep
Standard Action Area
Attack: Int vs. Will
Hit: The target is slowed (save ends). If the target fails its first saving throw against this power, the target becomes unconscious (save ends).
Miss: The target is slowed (save ends).​
[/sblock]

[sblock=Utility](Paragon) ?
Tumble
You tumble out of harm’s way, dodging the opportunistic attacks of your enemies.
Encounter ♦ Martial
Move Action Personal
Prerequisite:
You must be trained in Acrobatics.
Effect: You can shift a number of squares equal to one-half your speed.​
Dispel Magic
You unleash a ray of crackling arcane energy that destroys a magical effect created by an opponent.
Daily ♦ Arcane
Standard Action Ranged
Target: One conjuration or zone
Attack: Int vs. the Will defense of the creator of the conjuration or zone
Hit: The conjuration or the zone is destroyed. All its effects end, including those that normally last until a target saves.​
Resistance
You make yourself or another creatures in range resistant to a particular kind of damage.
Daily ♦ Arcane
Minor Action Ranged
Target: You or one creature
Effect: Against a particular damage type chosen by you, the target gains resistance equal to your level + your Intelligence modifier until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes. Choose the damage type from the following list: acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic, radiant, or thunder.​
Fly
You leap into the air and don’t look back.
Daily ♦ Arcane
Standard Action Personal
Effect:
You gain a speed of fly 8 until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Minor: You can sustain this power until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes. If you don’t sustain it, you float to the ground without taking falling damage.​
Displacement
The recipient of this spell appears to be standing slightly to the left or right of his actual position, making it harder for enemies to hit him.
Encounter ♦ Arcane, Illusion
Immediate Interrupt Ranged
Trigger: A ranged or melee attack hits you or one ally in range
Effect: The attacker must reroll the attack roll.​
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Lenny's obviously a bit underpowered, and not really min/maxed. I had to choose pretty much all the feats he qualified for, and of course there isn't a lot of choice in powers either. Also, I had to guess how the spellbook choices work once you have dailies of different levels. Still, to me he's an interesting portal to things to come.

Last edited:

DandD

First Post
For a level 23-guy, your character also lacks an Epic Destiny, which might change his powers again in a unforeseen way.

hennebeck

First Post
Seeing that all written out, I have to ask...

Too many feats to keep track of?

How many different feats effect OAs?
How many effect APs?

Are we going to be over-loaded with pluses and forgetting half of them?

Scalding

First Post
DandD said:
For a level 23-guy, your character also lacks an Epic Destiny, which might change his powers again in a unforeseen way.

True. Any Epic Destiny "features" would have applied, even though there are no Epic powers until 26th. It sure would be nice to have some (WotC: Hint, hint ;) )

lightblade said:
I'm guessing something like Feather Fall sounds about right for a level 2 wizard utility spell.

I wish I knew. It sounds good, though. I wish we had a level 2 utility power for each of the classes - then we could at least reach Level 2 with the pregens!

hennebeck said:

I don't think so. It seems very similar to previous versions - by high level there's just a lot to keep track of. I figure it'd take a couple notes written in the margins or next to special things to make it a bit smoother. Also, on a real character sheet I'd have the values for to hit and damage spelled out, with all the bonuses, so that I wouldn't forget anything.

TheLordWinter said:
Based upon what we've seen for the Rogue, you can expect to do x2 damage for your at-will powers.

That's probably true.

One of the questions I have specifically about Wizards is, "Which spells go in the Spellbook, and must be chosen after an extended rest?" If it's all dailies, then that includes a bunch of utility spells as well - but not all of them are daily, so I'm not sure.

Graf

Explorer
That... is not a simple character sheet.

Of course, if they have a free online character generator that is not suck it will not matter.

FadedC

First Post
hennebeck said:
Seeing that all written out, I have to ask...

How many different feats effect OAs?
How many effect APs?

Are we going to be over-loaded with pluses and forgetting half of them?

Hmm in myr recent 3rd edition game my tota temporary hit bonuses were.....

+4 from inspire courage
+2 from inspire greatness
+3 from greater magic weapon
+1 from bull strength
+1 from haste
+2 from recitation
+2 from blinking (plus my enemy lost his dex bonus and I had a 20% miss chance)
+2 from charging or flanking
+1-4 from arcane strike
-1-11 from power attack

And let's not even get into AC or damage bonuses

So yeah I think I can handle keeping track of a few different bonuses in 4e :).

Scalding

First Post
Graf said:
That... is not a simple character sheet.

You'll be happy to know that when I first wrote out the character, everything fit nicely on one side of a page in a steno pad. This included brief descriptions of the feats, but only names of the powers. Then I wrote it on Neceros' character sheet, but I had to use an early version with a third page for all the powers. When I put it up here, I decided to copy the actual descriptions for the powers, which is why it's so long.

The actual character really doesn't appear to be any more complex than a high level 3[.5]e character.

Remove ads