Level 6 fighter, where do I go?

Grimace59

First Post
Sorry for another fighter build question, but I'm stuck deciding where to go at Level 6 and don't want to derail the other person's question. Playing around with the idea of multiclassing or level dipping into the cleric pool, but should I?

Current Fighter. Sword and Board Battlemaster with Plate Armor AC20.
Str 18, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10

Have the Tough Feat & Heavy Armor master

Were currently moving thru HOTDQ, 4 man party: Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Wizard

Should start multi classing into a War or Life cleric for buffs and heals? should I go a feat? or just move strength up to 20

Current Battlemaster Manuvers: Parry, Riposte, Rally. I have used Rally a couple times to keep other players alive hence why I was thinking Cleric, but i wonder if not having the War Caster feat will give me problems down the road with certain spells. Plus I can't get the War Clerics extra attack since I have extra attack in I multiclass right?

Thanks for your help

mellored

Legend
If your looking for more healing, the healer feat is a good pickup. Otherwise 20 Str is good.

You can use the war clerics bonus action attack with multi-attack. Though it's only 1-2 times per day depending on your Wis.

bid

First Post
You cannot dip cleric with Wis12. Ranger and paladin have the stat requirement to cover your party healing needs. Did the paladin grab inspiring leader yet?

Sentinel would help you control the battlefield and stop skirmishers. Shield master can shove on bonus and keep them close to you. Healer feat is the cheapest way to recover health, but it is secondary to your role. Str20 is also nice but less important for a tank.

ShogunAssassin

First Post
+2 str is great as it adds to your battle master save and your attack. This would be my first choice.
at level 8 (or 6 up to you) i would then pick up "shield master".

or if your looking or more of a defensive route you could go Wisdom resilient feat (+1 wis and prof save)
and then at 8th take +1 con +1 wis gaining you more hp and +1 on the wis save (and skills)

Grimace59

First Post
Wow missed that on the wisdom requirement. Guess I may go strength bonus because I am a tank but also one of our main damage dealers. Ranger been more of a support. Thanks for the advice.

Kithas

First Post
+2 Con would also be a solid choice if, as you said, you are the tank. Your str is solid and shouldn't need more help for a while honestly. You could also take the durable feat to up your all day health, and give you +1 con.
The Battle mastery feat is also a good choice as it gives you more dice and maneuvers.

pdegan2814

First Post
Looks like you've got purely physical defense pretty well handled for right now, and your offense is probably fine. I'd probably go with one of ShogunAssassin's suggestions and shore up your other defenses. You've already got Con saves covered, Resilient(Wis) might be a good choice to help avoid having an enemy disable you mid-fight. That'll give you odd scores in all three of your major save stats, so with a later ASI/Feat slot it might be good to even two of those out. My gut says use your next three ASI/Feat slots(including the lvl 6 one assuming you haven't used it yet) for Resilient(Wis), Shield Master, and Wis+1/Con+1 in whatever order you think is best based on what kind of threats you're facing.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Or, take the Observant feat, buff your Wis to 13, then go Storm Cleric.
Or, take the Resilient feat, buff your Wis to 13 and get proficiency in Wis saves, then go Storm Cleric.

Punishing people who fight you (via SC Lightning Rebuke) and punishing people who don't fight you is fantastic.

Last edited:

If you want to multiclass cleric, +2 wisdom or resilent wisdom would not be the worst idea. The most dangerous attacks vs our fighter are those requiring a wisdom saving throw.
As a leader type you usually don't want to be out of combat for long.
If you go for life cleric, wisdom 13 is enough, so I would take resilent wisdom. As a war cleric, wisdom 14 would come handy, as your extra attack depends on it as well as some saving throws and healing efficiency. Generally spoken, life cleric may be the better idea in this case since healing seems to be your priority.

Last edited:

Remove ads