• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playtest (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document #7: Ranger

Welcome to the 7th Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of game’s ranger class. In our initial survey, you asked us for a spell-less ranger -- so here is our playtest candidate for it! Download the playtest document And when you're ready -- Take the survey here! What this is This is a playtest document. We’d love you to try out the rules...

Welcome to the 7th Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of game’s ranger class. In our initial survey, you asked us for a spell-less ranger -- so here is our playtest candidate for it!

page+30+copy.jpg

Download the playtest document

And when you're ready --

Take the survey here!

What this is​

This is a playtest document. We’d love you to try out the rules presented here, and then answer the follow-up survey in a few days.

What this is not​

This is NOT the final game. It’s OK if you don’t like elements of these rules; that’s the purpose of a playtest document. Be sure to participate in the follow-up survey in a few days. All data, positive or negative is useful.

What we use this for​

Your survey responses help form the direction of the game as it goes through the development process.

Don’t forget!​

Sign up for the mailing list for notifications of playtests, surveys, and news, and to make sure you get notified on Kickstarter when the project launches in 2021.

Continue reading...

Waller

Legend
There are definitely neat bits in here, but I’m still struggling to see how these classes aren’t just straight power ups to existing 5e classes.
New exploration options don’t make you hit harder. It’s not like it all stacks, it’s just broader. Looks like it’s all mainly part of the exploration pillar stuff here. And no spells.

TheSword

Legend
New exploration options don’t make you hit harder. It’s not like it all stacks, it’s just broader. Looks like it’s all mainly part of the exploration pillar stuff here. And no spells.
Erm, +1 to all attacks with options to switch this for more damage. Hunters mark equivalent giving another +1 to hit And 1d6 damage. Also the ability to spend points for more damage and to hit bonuses. Maneuvers. Points refresh on a short rest. All seems quite a lot extra for having given up a single fighting style at level 2 and a very small number of spells, that mostly take actions to cast.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the class. I just can’t see how I could have it in a campaign playing next to a non-level up PC.

aco175

Legend
There was a typo where it says the HP is 1d10 per sorcerer level. I'm sure it is not a big deal and everyone knows what you are saying, but I may be a bit anal sometimes.

I do like swapping out spells for the other things like knacks and maneuvers. I could see where some of the power could scale like with the foraging for healing plants and healing 1d4. It becomes less cool after several levels where you now need 2d6 or more. Not sure if I would scale with ranger level or have them spend more points.

Agree with TheSword, I like having maneuvers for every fighter class and keeping some of the exploration stuff, but this ranger is so much better than the 5e one I don't see how the two editions could be compatible.

Aside from that, I really like how the favored enemy and terrain can be changed after a specific amount of time, but thematically it doesnt make much sense for the enemy. Maybe would make more sense to be able to change it in a similar way to the terrain in that you watch an enemy type for an hour and are able to change it then?
Also I may be missing something obvious here, but a bunch of these classes have “expertise” die or similar and I can’t find what that actually is.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Rapid Fire needs a non-ranged alternative. I'm assuming that the combat maneuver Missile Volley it references is Volley from the fighter playtest doc. I'm mostly good with this one as-is and I know there was a stated desire for spell-less. I wonder if there's still a modular path to allow for both spell-less and spell-full but giving the spells probably means removing too many of the new and interesting features.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Agree with TheSword, I like having maneuvers for every fighter class and keeping some of the exploration stuff, but this ranger is so much better than the 5e one I don't see how the two editions could be compatible.

Aside from that, I really like how the favored enemy and terrain can be changed after a specific amount of time, but thematically it doesnt make much sense for the enemy. Maybe would make more sense to be able to change it in a similar way to the terrain in that you watch an enemy type for an hour and are able to change it then?
Also I may be missing something obvious here, but a bunch of these classes have “expertise” die or similar and I can’t find what that actually is.
The Rogue document had an explanation of Expertise Dice. I'm assuming the full release would have that separate from class. https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...01632049787/enp_level_up_playtest_3_rogue.pdf

I'm somewhat amusingly imagining that the ranger has a "book of possible enemies" that they read from during long rests to switch their favored enemy, which has those few phrases they know in their language and useful information about them that they'd be able to recall more easily, and to know what to look for when tracking them. Too much to remember for more than 2 strange creatures or 4 humanoids at once, so keep your notes in a book to review once you know what you're up against.

Remove ads

Remove ads