LG vs. CN: Chaotic Neutral Advances!

Infiniti2000

First Post
"That is . . . quite unexpected. Very well, if only to stave off boredom so that Le Général does not fall asleep, like apparently the Patriots did in their supposedly 'easy' battle."

Gansk

Explorer
Psybo steps in.

"We have a draw! Chaotic Neutral will advance to the finals to face Chaotic Good. Lawful Good's general Shimmy survives to preserve the dignity of his forces."

PJSlavner

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
"That is . . . quite unexpected. Very well, if only to stave off boredom so that Le Général does not fall asleep, like apparently the Patriots did in their supposedly 'easy' battle."
I agree about it being unexpected. I thought this round was going to take us past the third anniversary of TBoAA.

I do not know if Tom Brady being pounded into submission by the Giant's defensive line qualifies as falling asleep.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I would think Fang has a chance to win this one, actually, but I agree it would be a long drawn out process and it's even possible he wouldn't win. The draw is definitely reasonable.

As for the Pats, they just couldn't make the plays that they should have, on both sides of the ball. However, if you told me beforehand that the Giants would only score 17 points, then I would bet my savings that the Pats would win. 14 points is just ridiculous for the highest score team ever against not even the best defense this season.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Folks can feel free to look at my private sblock to Gansk on this. I don't know if Fang would only fail his SV versus Shimmy's breath on a '1', but it was starting to feel that way. It looked like Shimmy couldn't dare face him in close combat, even invisible and with true-sight to pierce the mirror images - but knocking 8 off of Fang's strength could have shifted those odds. The spell turning effect meant that Shimmy couldn't debuff Fang, and offensive spells were unlikely due to the usual dragon CL vs. SR issues.

So if Shimmy did nothing but fly around, he'd need to get missed 5 times in a row. He gets 50% change on each pass thanks to invisibility, but that means each 5-round period only has a 3% chance of causing the draw. Actually better than that since sometimes Fang would get through invis but still miss due to AC, but even if we say AC frustrates him a quarter of the times he gets through that's less than than 10% per 5-round period.

So, could Fang's hits take him down in 100 rounds, given Shimmy's cure moderate ability? Would Fang finally succumb to the weakness gas that he'd be subjected to every 2-3 rounds?

Bottom line is that it would have been a long time, made even longer by my long delays between posts. :)

In any case, I'll keep looking in to see how the arena is going. I'm still interested in the ToC, but don't want to subject people to wait on my posts.

Infiniti2000

First Post
One thing's for sure, you got lucky on the dispel magic ruling. I personally rule that a targeted dispel magic gets returned and there are no dispel checks. In my world, you would have lost all of your buffs. That's what Fang was hoping for with the taunting anyway, but I'm glad you lost a couple of spells. Dice were rolling really well for you. That was a huge string of misses and you should have lost a lot more spells. For a 50/50 chance, you lost only 2/9 spells! Incredible! While I'm at it, I also think that Fang would know he was targeted by the dispel magic. He wouldn't know the level, but I think he should know that he was targeted and that the effect was turned. Also, you're very lucky that Fang got an extremely bad selection of spells.

Gansk

Explorer
You're right, all buffs should have been dispelled. I'm not sure why Fang would know about the turning, the spell description implies that the DM keeps track secretly.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Well, if it was a spell that required a save, he would feel a 'hostile tingle', so why wouldn't he feel this, even though his spell turning turned it? Hey, maybe even because his spell turned functioned, he should know. Anyway, this part is definitely not in the rules anywhere and your interpretation is perfectly acceptable. Even the interpretation on the target dispel vs. spell turning is acceptable and has been hotly debated. :D

Remove ads