• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Liefeld Returns to Marvel -- X-Force #1

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I don't think he's bad but I also don't think he's great. The key is story, and I think Fabian can put out a half decent script. I also loved almost the entire run of New Mutants, but dropped X-Force somewhere around issue #25. Can anyone give a short recap of what happened in the book after that?

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Silver Moon said:
I don't think he's bad but I also don't think he's great. The key is story, and I think Fabian can put out a half decent script. I also loved almost the entire run of New Mutants, but dropped X-Force somewhere around issue #25. Can anyone give a short recap of what happened in the book after that?

Not a regualr collector of the line, but have access to it thanks to a friend who's a big collector.

From what I understood, a lot of X-Force was slaughtered in their final issue, and X-Statix (not Static-X) took its place. Other than Cable, and perhaps 1 or 2 other characters (who popped up in other titles), most of the X-Force crew was slaughtered, from what I know.

Part of me thinks this is a business move to try to sell to those fans who followed the run back in the 90's (IIRC), during the heyday of the craze of anything produced by certain writers/artists. However, I don't think this will last long, and it'll probably fizzle out after a little while. (Heck, how many times has Marvel scarpped/rebuilt/reordered lines in order to improve sales? Sometimes, IMHO, it seems to me that treating everything from a business perspective it what helps to kill off a market in the first place.)

CrusaderX

First Post
AFGNCAAP said:
Not a regualr collector of the line, but have access to it thanks to a friend who's a big collector.

From what I understood, a lot of X-Force was slaughtered in their final issue, and X-Statix (not Static-X) took its place. Other than Cable, and perhaps 1 or 2 other characters (who popped up in other titles), most of the X-Force crew was slaughtered, from what I know.

They got better. :) Seriously, I don't think many, if any at all, died. The likes of Cannonball, Meltdown, Sunspot, Shatterstar, etc. are all still alive and well.

your father is

First Post
I probably won't pick this one up, but I do think it's cool that Liefeld draws comics at all anymore, 'cause he really doesn't have to. He made millions in the '90s boom, and he works a lot in Hollywood these days.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
He did make millions.

He then lost his millions.

After he left Image (*coughcoughfiredcough*) he went from one indie
publisher to another leaving a trail of bankrupt studios behind him.

McFarlane was the only Image head honcho that was able to keep hold
of his millions. Jim Lee went bankrupt (but was saved by DC) and Silvestri's
Top Cow Studios has been struggling.

Kilmore

First Post
Liefield is a legendary artist with a glorious history, a unique perspective and a very individual point of view regarding the depictions of his characters. He is an artist with a vision and does excellent work in transforming his vision into reality.

I just don't like it.

GreyShadow

Explorer
Kilmore said:
Liefield is a legendary artist with a glorious history, a unique perspective and a very individual point of view regarding the depictions of his characters. He is an artist with a vision and does excellent work in transforming his vision into reality.

I just don't like it.

What he said. Not sure about the glorious history part bit though.

Chet Masters

First Post
Good god its becoming the early 90's all over again...

I will be the first to admit that Liefeld has improved over the last 10 years, but not nearly enough. He still hasn't mastered that whole "anatomy" thing, as well as a couple of other comic artist fundamentals.

Zulithe

Explorer
Well it's an improvement over his Captain America at least
capnekkid.jpg

Back when Image was hot, Youngblood was new and I was 13, I sorta liked him. It has an intersting (and often emulated) style, but he just takes the anatomy waaayyyy outta proportion to the point of laughability. He seems to get worse all the time. o_O

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads