D&D 5E Light release schedule: More harm than good?

T

TDarien

I wouldn't say it's due to a lack of money.

They have bloated the last three editions and when people say they don't want bloat, Wizards pulls back way too much instead of finding that balance.

I think it's way, way to early to be making that claim. The complete rules have only been out two months. Not to mention the fact that there is more packed into core 5e than any edition prior.

There's so much we don't know yet, other than WotC plans to reduce bloat (and hopefully in the process improve quality). This, from what i've seen online up to this point, has been a very popular move, but we don't know exactly what that means yet. This time next year, we'll have a much better idea of how the release schedule effects the game as a whole.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Funny how the people continually saying that WotC is driving people away by not releasing more product are they themselves still here. Maybe once they start walking the walk and stop playing the game and stop posting about it will I take their complaints more seriously. Otherwise it seems more just idle complaints because they aren't getting what they personally want.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
If they are planning 1-2 splatbooks (Monster Manual II, Wilderness Survival Guide), 1-2 setting release (Players Guide to Greyhawk, and Secrets of Greyhawk), and 1-2 adventure release for the coming year (Forces of Elemental Evil, Against the Slavers), that's probably about the right balance. Personally, I'm skeptical that 6 books might be too aggressive of a release schedule unless they get an unlikely successful market penetration into other media - popular game releases, Netflix picks up Chronicles of the Dragonlance to compete with 'Game of Thrones' and it's actually good, etc.
Four, five, or even six books a year would be a good balance.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
For new players, I don't think it has a negative effect - there's enough to digest with the Core 3 and the two adventures. Especially since you are given the tools to make your own adventures.

For those players used to millions of player and monster choices with 3.x, Pathfinder, and 4E, the 5th edition may look unfinished at this point with so few options. (It does to me.)

That said, I like the slower pace. Gives me time to actually finish reading the books before 6 new ones come out...

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Funny how the people continually saying that WotC is driving people away by not releasing more product are they themselves still here. Maybe once they start walking the walk and stop playing the game and stop posting about it will I take their complaints more seriously. Otherwise it seems more just idle complaints because they aren't getting what they personally want.

I don't represent the majority so just because I stick around doesn't mean a hoard of others will.

Also, this is a D&D discussion forum where you discuss, wait for it.......wait for it.......D&D!

This also isn't the "everything is always great, Wizards knows everything, and D&D is just the greatest" forum either.

Hard data huh?

When was the last time Wizards actually found a happy medium with their release schedule? Their track record proves they don't really have a clue to be honest.
You're making an illogical assumption that for more than a decade WotC has had no idea what its best options are, when it's you (and the rest of us) that have the least information.

The market hasn't gone in that direction. Just look at Paizo.

Yes they stick with the same campaign setting, but their stuff can be used anywhere and they churn out a good amount of product.
Paizo is smashing into the same wall WotC did in 2006, cranking out products to the point of market saturation. It's unsurprising that they're trying to diversify the types of products they're releasing, exactly like WotC has done and is doing. WotC popped its market-share bubble after 4E, but don't think for a second that Paizo hasn't inflated one under themselves too.

I wouldn't say it's due to a lack of money.

They have bloated the last three editions and when people say they don't want bloat, Wizards pulls back way too much instead of finding that balance.
This is pure speculation on your part.

Mallus

Legend
I like the slow release schedule. Given the high production values of the core books, I don't think "WotC ran out of money" sounds very plausible. It reads like a deliberate experiment or re-calibration.

I don't think there's room for another publisher with Pazio's business model in the (D&D part of) the RPG market. Paizo generates more adventure content then their customer base can play through. I don't WotC can compete with them in that space.

painted_klown

First Post
For new players, I don't think it has a negative effect - there's enough to digest with the Core 3 and the two adventures. Especially since you are given the tools to make your own adventures.
As a new player, a huge factor in me choosing 5E over Pathfinder (to DM) was the non-intimidating stack of books available. Please remember veterans, that a person who hasn't really been exposed to D&D doesn't realize that there are three core books, and that everything else is "extra" (for lack of a better word). Not knowing this leads to confusion, and a tendancy to not want to "buy in" because the books are expeinsive, and they aren't sure where to start.

That said, I like the slower pace. Gives me time to actually finish reading the books before 6 new ones come out...
I too love the slower pace, and thought perhaps I was alone in that thought.

I want 5E to have a long, popular, and profitable life span. IMO by keeping the books to a minimum, it will foster an enviroment that allows this to happen. Less books at once, more quality when they do come, and a longer life span due to spreading out the release schedule over a longer period of time.

All of this is IMO and YMMV, of coure.

delericho

Legend
In my long time opinion, I think this light release schedule is going to do more harm than good.

Might do, I guess we'll see.

Since WotC's plans for the next year are so are essentially fixed (in that there's little they could change even if they wanted to), maybe the best thing to do is for us just to wait and see how things pan out a year from now?

Remove ads