• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Liking the temp homepage?

dragonier

Community Supporter
I was just browsing the news articles on the front page when I realized something. I really like the temporary home page. It is simple, easy to navigate, it has a long history of the news articles that have been posted, and the articles don't jump around the page. The links to the articles also don't sometimes vanish one day only to reappear the next which I saw quite regularly on the version 2 homepage.

I certainly don't want to disparage anyone on the ENWorld team or give the impression that I don't think the change was worthwhile, but I have to admit, I'm finding myself enjoying my time on the ENWorld home page much more with its current format.

I don't know if there's any way that these comments can be incorporated into the design of the regular news page when it goes live again, but I think I might actually be a bit sad when we return to the updated home page.

Does anyone else like the temporary homepage?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I actually find it *incredibly* quick to update, too. I do miss having a bit more info there, and I still feel discussion links from news items are important, though.

dragonier

Community Supporter
I definitely agree that the little blurb of extra info is nice and the discussion links are great. The boxes on version 2 home page often cut that extra info short though, often to the point where you saw almost none of it. Then there were some of the news items that had an extra large box that showed all the info text. Those "super-sized" boxes seemed to always stay at the top of the page too, even if they were quite a few days old and even if other news items from the day they were posted had dropped off the news page already. I also found it kinda' confusing to try to figure out why articles would sometimes appear, disappear, then reappear again.

I definitely want to say thanks for all the effort though. I imagine most of these little kinks can be ironed out over time. Getting on with the new server is the priority right now though so I don't want anyone to get hung up on small details now! :)

Arnwyn

First Post
Love the temp page.

Better than the boxes, at least (though not quite as good as ENW1's news page, which was - and still is - the best).

Merkuri

Explorer
I figure for now that the less that has to be loaded, the better.

CSS doesn't actually take up much resources/bandwidth. If you use a CSS file that just changes the colors or widths of things it shouldn't make much performance difference at all. Images and ads take up more bandwidth than CSS, which is basically just more text for the browser to parse (and text is cheap).

I too happen to really like the new front page. The links are simple and its easy to quickly look over and find interesting news links for the day. Plus the long list of older news is nice in case I miss a day.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I, too, like the temp page. I only have one regret: It's a whitescreen. I wuch prefer the black screen wih white letters. I find it easier to read ... plus, it uses less energy for the computer to display. Not like it displays it for very long ... but with 70,000 readers ....

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if the temp page became the permanent page if the colors were flipped on it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads