Limited Resting and the Hour Long Rest

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Any thoughts?
It'd be better. I prefer splitting the HP pool, and having different healing sources heal one HP pool or another. As it stands, I really dislike the healing mechanics as introduced in the "broken NDA thread" and discussed in this thread. Full healing overnight, HP is blurred on what effects it and how it does, and it's almost literally "two short work breaks, an hour lunch break, and sleep."

I tell you what, if "HP" is just fatigue, then it's not terrible (but not great). If it is just fatigue, I can work all day, go home, take a short break, shower, walk a mile to a park with a friend to go play some basketball, walk back, throw a football around on the court to cool down, eat something, and then go perform another activity. I may want to go watch a movie or tv show, or come to EN World, but I could just as easily perform another physical activity (like a game of tennis, or something). And I'm 26 years old, 5'11", and about 200 lb., and not the all-muscled kind, so not in the best shape.

But it's not supposed to be just fatigue, I don't think. It's too many things right now. It's morale. And luck. And wounds. And fatigue. And destiny. And divine protection. And so on. My problem with the current natural healing mechanic is, like with past editions, it addresses one of those things. That is, HP naturally by treating it like it's fatigue. In past editions, it was usually (not in 3.X) "HP is all of these things", but treated HP as just meat. The only things that dealt HP damage were things that tried to wound you, so HP was meat in practice.

They need to separate these things out, in my opinion. Get two HP pools: HP (ability to take wounds), and THP (my preference is fatigue, but this could be "everything else"). I doubt they'll do this, but it solves so many problems, and still gives different classes different uses (Clerics rock at healing HP but not THP, and Warlord's own at healing THP but not HP). Have HP return slowly, and THP return in minutes.

At any rate, your solution is an improvement over their current implementation, if the thread is to be believed. I really hope it gets changed, as it's currently one of only two huge turn-offs I have at the moment. As always, play what you like :)

Aramax

First Post
I was doing something like this in my 4th days-a moderate rest of 1 hour would give you two healing surges if you had none,one healig surge if you had more than one left or get back your lowest level used daily.it worked fine

AngryMojo

First Post
Linking rests to meals? Give halflings an ability to process more food in a day.

Second breakfast, elevensies, lunch, dinner, supper, afternoon tea?

Edit: All joking aside, I really like the idea. It makes rations important, and not having them as bad as I imagine it. An army marches on it's stomach, and nobody wants to go into battle hungry.

Last edited:

Mattachine

Adventurer
I am not a fan of healing food from video games being ported to D&D. Remember "Wizard needs food badly!" ?

Keep food as a requirement for the long rest to be effective, but not shorter ones.

Linking food and water to the rests now will make survival settings like darksun more fun later. I already in 4e house ruled that you need a survival day (what they call rations+) to gain an extended rest benefit.

I think if the rule was A 10 min rest (non cumlitive inless you had an encounter) restores level in hp., but no limit.

keep the milestone from 4e for action points

have the hour rest restore X Y or Z (hp spells features ect) and can only be done once per day

have the extended rest restore all powers and half hp...

I do not see why the limit on the 10 min breaks...

malkav666

First Post
I am undecided about the resting as reported in the leak. It doesn't seem terrible to me and given a choice between healing surges and that system exactly as presented in the leak I would take the new system every time (unless it somehow works in surges).

To those posters who seem a little miffed about the amount of times you can rest in a day I don't think there will be rule that says you cant rest more if you want to. It just doesn't appear like you will get more mechanical benefit from it. Im fine with that.

love,

malkav

Bungo_Underhill

First Post
The important question here is if resting benefits are tied to meal eating -do halflings get a higher entitlement.
Breakfast,
Second Breakfast,
Elevensies,
Lunch,
Dinner,
High Tea,
Supper...

Remove ads