• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

line of sight for Spiritual Ally

Anditch

First Post
On page 246 of Advanced PG there is the Spiritual Ally spell. which is the better version of spiritual weapon. Spirit weapon(2nd level) needs line of sight or weapon returns etc. On Spiritual Ally(4th level) it says you need to '' designate'' your target each round. Does this mean that you need sight or can you just say '' attack the left hand gnoll'' or even just ''gnoll'' Can anyone clear this up. I am trying to work out what benefits you gain from the ally apart from the flank bonus over spirit weapon.

Anditch

First Post
Spiritual Ally

So with the clerics 4th level spiritual ally spell. Do you need line of sight to be able to move the ally on to another creature if you cant see it. The party can so can you ask them for targets then control your ally to attack the creatures. Can anyone answer me pls ?

frankthedm

First Post
It will be up to your GM what it takes to 'designate' a foe. I'd rule the caster has to be able to see the target, but that is just my opinion on the matter.

Each round on your turn, starting with the turn that you cast this spell, your spiritual ally can make an attack against a foe within its reach that you designate. The spiritual ally threatens adjacent squares and can flank and make attacks of opportunity as if it were a normal creature.

jefgorbach

First Post
Spiritual Ally removes/lacks Spiritual Weapon's requirement for the designated foe to remain within the caster's line-of-sight, so IMO it -SHOULD- be able to attack any adjacent foe, regardless of whether the caster can actually see it (ie standing around the corner/behind cover) provided you can tell it where to attack in some manner ... thus "the gnoll around the corner", "in the other room", "on your right", etc should all be acceptable.

Anditch

First Post
spiritual ally

the thing is if you have to see to allow any summoned creature to work all you would have to do is cast blindness on the caster and the summoner is completely useless. this makes no sence when all you need to do is ask your party and let them be your eyes. IMHO. This topic is clearly hard to answer as only 2 have. one for and one against. so oviously a grey area that needs to be looked into. Maybe in another version of DnD. ty those two who have answered but clearly a tough one to call.

Remove ads