List of All Settings?

Odhanan

Adventurer
If Midnight is listed, then you can list Thieves' World as well (Green Ronin Publishing). It does use all the rules of the D&D PHB. All the variations (new classes, magic system etc) are included with the base product, just like Midnight.

Yair said:
I only want published settings, not fan-made stuff. And I only want pretty comprehensive worlds, not just a city-and-soroundings (like, say, Ptolus). Clarification: Continent-size or so will do the trick - if it focuses on an area smaller than a smallish continent, it's too small or too focused to be considered a "world" IMO, and what I'm interested in are worlds.
A better criteria would not be SIZE but INTENT. There's no reason I can fathom for deciding that a single city is unworthy of qualification if the INTENT in publishing it is for it to BE used as a self-contained setting. Though I've never actually run one, I have a number of times given serious consideration to running a campaign that never leaves the immediate surroundings of a single city, and possibly never even goes beyond the walls. Just because it doesn't fit your personal gaming preferences doesn't mean that it isn't still a legitimate, published SETTING.

If this is a search for possible settings simply for your own consideration that's one thing, but if you're trying to assemble a meaningful listing for general use by others then you should widen your perspective a bit.

Yair

Community Supporter
Odhanan said:
If Midnight is listed, then you can list Thieves' World as well (Green Ronin Publishing). It does use all the rules of the D&D PHB. All the variations (new classes, magic system etc) are included with the base product, just like Midnight.
Well, again I'm looking for D&D rather than an add-on. Midnight makes substantial changes but a D&D Fighter can still be plunged into it and almost work (he'll to start without much gear, and with a Heroic Path plastered on top, but that's basically it IIRC). Even so, with the changes to races and magic Midnight borders the line between being D&D and being an entirely different game. I don't know Thieves' World, but I'm under the impression it goes even further apart, making it cross this line.

Yair

Community Supporter
Man in the Funny Hat said:
A better criteria would not be SIZE but INTENT. There's no reason I can fathom for deciding that a single city is unworthy of qualification if the INTENT in publishing it is for it to BE used as a self-contained setting. Though I've never actually run one, I have a number of times given serious consideration to running a campaign that never leaves the immediate surroundings of a single city, and possibly never even goes beyond the walls. Just because it doesn't fit your personal gaming preferences doesn't mean that it isn't still a legitimate, published SETTING.

If this is a search for possible settings simply for your own consideration that's one thing, but if you're trying to assemble a meaningful listing for general use by others then you should widen your perspective a bit.
Good points. I've amended the clarification somewhat.

What I'm looking for is a list of D&D worlds. Not locations, worlds. I think that's a useful enough criteria to make the list useful for others, although personally I'm just curious so want to make it.

Edit: On further thought, it would be best to close this thread and open a better one, with more broad and precise definitions. I put it here.

Moderators, please close this thread.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Yair said:
Doesn't Rokugan rely solely on playing new classes, races, and so on?

ROKUGAN absolutely needs to be added on that list.

It is sometimes considered a continent as a whole, but given the fact that it has its own cosmology and that religion and alignment have sensibly different mechanisms, I quite think that having it "share the world" with Greyhawk or Faerun would not fully work.

It not only does have its own classes, races, equipment like any other setting, but it also has special rules (e.g. Void points, honor ranks, taint score, additional skills), different social paradigmas (how people get trained into classes, how does private property works) and different game assumptions (about alignment, resurrection, and the nature of magic).

I've said it before that it really is the perfect* example about how to make a setting that is both different and still very much D&D :cool:

*perfect in the approach, not perfect in the balance results :p

Remove ads