List of Forbidden Names?

hong

WotC's bitch
coyote6 said:

Some FR gods are based on Finnish and Celtic and Summerian and Greek mythology. Others aren't.

Some FR gods are based on Finnish and Celtic and Sumerian and Norse mythology (eg Tyr). Others aren't.

Hong "and some, all at once" Ooi

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Vigilance said:
The only way to be sure is to design by the SRD. A copy can be downloaded off of WOTC's official site.

One thing is sure, if you take your textbook about Greek mythology, any name there is fair play for your d20 book.

Any Ancient Greek copyright claim has expired during the last 2500 years ;)

TroyXavier

First Post
You can use any deity's name based on mythology. The thing is NO ONE can own them. That's why both Marvel and DC can use say any Greek deity they want. You can't copyright, trademark, or register any of them.

annadobritt

First Post
Errr. I need to know the names that are owned by Wizards. Not for creating deities but what cannot be used according to the SRD.

This is for editing purposes, not writing. I know names like Lolth, etc can't be used, but there are other deity names out there which fall under the same thing and I don't know what they are.

GypsyComet

First Post
While it may not be online as such, the list SHOULD be summed up by perusing the legals pages for Deities & Demigods, and Faiths & Pantheons. However, I note that WotC failed to put a trademark listing in Deities & Demigods, and I wouldn't be surprised if F&P is similar...

Of the "D&D Pantheon" as listed in Deities and Demigods, all names are, as far as I can tell, original to TSR/WotC except Tiamat and possibly Bahamut. The four unusual deities (Taiia, Elishar, Toldoth, Dennari) at the end of the book are also WotC's. The classical pantheons in the rest of the book are not a problem.

The Forgotten Realms deities in Faiths & Pantheons are, as previously noted, a mishmash. You can be pretty safe by treating the non-human pantheons as WotC's.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
GypsyComet said:

Of the "D&D Pantheon" as listed in Deities and Demigods, all names are, as far as I can tell, original to TSR/WotC except Tiamat and possibly Bahamut.

Even using Tiamat and Bahamut you have to be careful. While the names are from mythology, their configurations are not.

That is to say, you could use the name Tiamat without worry, but if you make her a five-headed dragon...then you might have something to worry about. Same for Bahamut, Demogorgon, Orcus, etc. The names are from mythology, but their current configurations (Demogorgon as a two-headed, tentacled demon, e.g.) are not from mythology and are the property of WotC.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Vigilance said:
The only way to be sure is to design by the SRD. A copy can be downloaded off of WOTC's official site.

True- and its easy for gods. There are NONE mentioned in the SRD. WotC didnt include them. :D

Voadam

Legend
Some FR gods are based on Finnish (Loviatar) and Celtic(Oghma and that druid one) and Sumerian(?) and Norse (Tyr), and greek (early version had Tymora as Tyche) and Eqyptian (entire mulhorandi pantheon) and Babylonian (Tiamat and was it Gilgamesh or Marduk, I forget). Others aren't.

Remove ads