List of Forbidden Names?

Voadam

Legend
I think St. Cuthbert is the only real life name in the Greyhawk pantheon. So going through the greyhawk book's list will give you a lot to search for. I think all the demihuman gods and monster race gods are WotC only.

Dragonlance has a bunch of bibilical names among their god names.

I couldn't tell you about Birthright.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
J Lloyd said:

No. But WotC's particular characterization of drow does belong to them.

Right. (Though drow are listed, at least stat-wise, in the SRD their description is not.)

It works along the lines that if the name is from mythology or whatnot you can use it, but you cannot use TSR/WotC's configuration.

For example, the name Demogorgon is derived from mythology. So you can use it legally. But- what you cannot do is make your Demogorgon a two-headed baboon demon with tentacles. Same for Tiamat, Bahamut, Orcus, etc. While the names are all derived from mythology or legend, the configurations are not. And without permission from WotC, you can't use them. (Although TSR's version of Pazuzu in 1e was pretty damn close to the mythological version of Pazuzu. You might be able to use that one as is, more or less, with minimal change if you ever decided to do so.)

EDIT: Basically what I posted above the other day. :D Didnt even see my other post til after I did this one. Sorry for the duplication.

Last edited:

Pale

First Post
You also have to lookout for names that are non-OGC from other d20 products. (Necromancer games has a few, I do believe.)

Lizard

Explorer
TroyXavier said:
You can use any deity's name based on mythology. The thing is NO ONE can own them. That's why both Marvel and DC can use say any Greek deity they want. You can't copyright, trademark, or register any of them.

However, to be fair, copyright does protect unique interpretations.

The name "Thor" is public domain.

The blond-haired, shakespearian-spouting, cane-tapping Thor is copyright Marvel.

DC can use a mythologically accurate Thor (as they did in Sandman) or make up a superheroic Thor of their own, but they can't use a Thor which is too close to Marvel's Thor.

Sir Edgar

First Post
I don't know how realistic it would be considering the amount of materials out there, but someone should come up with a list of IP names and descriptions. That way, people are clear about what they can and can't use and also in which way. It's difficult to come up with creative names for NPC's and locations and whatnot, but to know that it was printed in another product would suck. I am sure many people would feel more secure with having access to a resource like that. I'm also sure it would get a lot of hits, maybe even a subscription from some companies. Not sure, however, if it would be feasible or profitable though.

Sir Edgar said:
I don't know how realistic it would be considering the amount of materials out there, but someone should come up with a list of IP names and descriptions.

But if someone other than the owners of this IP did create such a list wouldn't they be violating the IP? :)

Perhaps what we would like is each publisher to create a list of what is their IP.

Duncan

Christian Walker

First Post
Sir Edgar said:
I don't know how realistic it would be considering the amount of materials out there, but someone should come up with a list of IP names and descriptions.

To be on the safe side, just assume any word you might use to label an NPC, creature, or location has been claimed as a "TM" by Palladium. ;)

Remove ads