D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Given the myths about what acupuncture can treat...

"Allergies, Asthma, Sinusitis, Headaches, TMJ, Back Pain, Sciatica, Musculoskeletal Problems, Insomnia, Anxiety, Dizziness, Depression, High Blood Pressure, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Addictions, Indigestion, Constipation, Sexual Dysfunction, Post-Operative Recovery, Palliative Care."

I am vaguely inclined to have a Practice for it that allows one to make healing practices based on Thieving skill.

Acupuncturists are thieves? lol. It seems cool.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
But if you have a contrast between "default" things that can be done with a skill (eg Acrobatics can be used to do cartwheels) and then "extra" things that can be done with a skill + ritual (eg Acrobatics can be used to travel long distances quickly and ignoring terrain by flying), you still need that distinction between "default" and "extra". And I don't see any reason why the sorts of things covered by Martial Practices should be treated as "extra" rather than "default".

Your pointing out the mechanic from DMG2 which allowed an auto success using a healing surge in a skill challenge (I think you pointed it out) kicked off my thinking about the price of practices and while the check is how efficient you are doing the practice instead of will you succeed it also ups the skill throws in the game as you commented having a desire for elsewhere.

The difference of do you have a practice or not may change the skill base for it and how efficient you can use those Healing Surges.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If one fundamental feature of practices and rituals are accomplishing something more effeciently usually 1/2 to 1/3 the cost than it is done improvisationally that can be used in combination with Karma points to accomplish some interesting things. =I do think the in a skill challenge context and cost can be generalized.

For instance with the Hospitality Practice idea I do not borrow housing for X in gp I "borrow" it for X/3 and in karma points... the flavor of me getting the thing cheaper and seemingly free might be flavored differently of course.

This points to some rituals as being what I consider inappropriately priced... for example travelers feast costs more than simply buying an actual awesome meal AND only gives travel rations.

Given D&Ds hmmmm classically distraught and distorted economy....

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Something I have thought about both practices and rituals is that they help define culture or a world on the back of the game more even than classes (which can be purely the oddness of heroes), as they are dependent on the world for functional context. Like how linked teleport brings a magical network into the fore ie they paint an interesting picture.

Something I have thought about both practices and rituals is that they help define culture or a world on the back of the game more even than classes (which can be purely the oddness of heroes), as they are dependent on the world for functional context. Like how linked teleport brings a magical network into the fore ie they paint an interesting picture.

I would say powers have the same effect, to at least some extent. Rituals tend to be longer-term and broader in effect, thus perhaps more likely to have significant social/cultural effect. I think they're pretty much in line with previous edition spells.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I would say powers have the same effect, to at least some extent. Rituals tend to be longer-term and broader in effect, thus perhaps more likely to have significant social/cultural effect.

Racial Powers like elves who slide between fey and the mundane world could but the player could even be a singular incident of the world walking gift.. and it would still work. I was picking specific cases which make world assumptions for their operation.

Though as with classes and powers and more extreme racial power I suppose their presence or function can Often be seen as restrained to heroes resurrection for example but with others the instant a hero takes this ritual which has world dependencies (linked teleport and hospitality for instance) - I do not see how they can.

I think they're pretty much in line with previous edition spells.

Oh I do not doubt that always thought D&D magic had world defining implications and why early on it was some of the most commonly house ruled part of the game at least for those of us who were interested in world building.

Of course someone takes acupuncture and we either have a genius that figured it out or an injection of considerable flavor.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Accepting Bards/Skalds into the fold of martial gives some breadth. (just as barbarians do)

Library Arts,
"Libraries are not all designed by insane mages" most have an actual system - ummm in the ancient world many many systems you need to decode and historians and fiction writers actively want their material to be found sure magic books still get in there but most libraries were not intended to hide material. A library is often treated as a tool for enhancing history or arcana checks, possibly at the cost of a healing surge or perhaps hiring people to serve as extra eyes. Those practiced in the library arts can enhance that tool to an extraordinary degree.

Library Arts (Bard,Warlord) -- History, Bluff → accelerated indexing interpretation, aid other enhancement , also speeds usage.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So what does an Epic Librarian look like ...

poster.jpg

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Tree Top Runner / Brachiation - Acrobatics

This allows you to when in the forest or similar areas of protruding landscape (difficult terrain) to be unaffected by the difficult terrain while using Long Distance Runner practice (perhaps at level 16 you also gain a climb speed equal to your speed)

Design note : In the manner of other recent practices this changes the nature of another practices while giving it some extra pop...

Remove ads