D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Tree Top Runner / Brachiation - Acrobatics

This allows you to when in the forest or similar areas of protruding landscape (difficult terrain) to be unaffected by the difficult terrain while using Long Distance Runner practice (perhaps at level 16 you also gain a climb speed equal to your speed)

Design note : In the manner of other recent practices this changes the nature of another practices while giving it some extra pop...

Right, though I might even go to the further end of this and make up ANOTHER practice which gave you the final climb speed part. Heck, why not? The beauty of it is that there's no finite set of slots here that you have to work with. A practice can be EXTREMELY niche. Heck, it can be tailored to one specific situation that will come up one time in a game and never again, its still useful. In that later case I might recompense the character for the expense, as I'd consider it a plot element vs being a character building element, but now that I'm using abstract wealth in HoML even that consideration is gone (well, unless the expense is extreme).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right, though I might even go to the further end of this and make up ANOTHER practice which gave you the final climb speed part. Heck, why not? The beauty of it is that there's no finite set of slots here that you have to work with. A practice can be EXTREMELY niche. Heck, it can be tailored to one specific situation that will come up one time in a game and never again, its still useful. In that later case I might recompense the character for the expense, as I'd consider it a plot element vs being a character building element, but now that I'm using abstract wealth in HoML even that consideration is gone (well, unless the expense is extreme).

Traditions of hospitality and debt make that a better model than it might seem to people used to tracking minutia

Its also not significantly different than this healing surge economy with the modifications I have made ie where skill controls the expense and you have a daily quantity. (And where taking feats can increase your daily available resources)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Tree Top Runner / Brachiation - Acrobatics

This allows you to when in the forest or similar areas of protruding landscape (difficult terrain) to be unaffected by the difficult terrain while using Long Distance Runner practice (perhaps at level 16 you also gain a climb speed equal to your speed)

Design note : In the manner of other recent practices this changes the nature of another practices while giving it some extra pop...

This could also result in evasion of many land bound encounters (not as perfectly as peerless tracker) and is hard to track which parkour isn't.

Each does involve unimpaired high speed movement

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In the MPII one maybe two of the Martial Practices could be attributed to the monk.

And of the set I have compiled that is up to at least 9 or 10 of the Martial Practices could arguably be said inspired directly from literary/legendary martial artists or the AD&D monk (with some over laps from rangers on a couple).

Sure the pattern above is something I myself created but really, in my opinion that should have been an inevitable from the outset of Martial Practices. Others have already commented on this and I do not feel the idea was ever taken seriously.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hunters Mind

This mind state is akin to a trance in which ones perception is uniquely honed to living things creatures do not recieve any benefit of having partial cover against you. However if you take damage while in this trance it breaks unless you make an exertion to maintain it (at the cost of a healing surge if your nature check to stay "in tune with nature" is insufficient).

This was actually inspired by a book that I cannot recall the name of, grumble grumble.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hunters Mind

This mind state is akin to a trance in which ones perception is uniquely honed to living things creatures do not recieve any benefit of having partial cover against you. However if you take damage while in this trance it breaks unless you make an exertion to maintain it (at the cost of a healing surge if your nature check to stay "in tune with nature" is insufficient).

This was actually inspired by a book that I cannot recall the name of, grumble grumble.

I can actually find the see through partial cover effect in magic items ie perhaps it should be a Martial Technique but I kind of want to use the kinds of rules like healing surge and check to maintain as would be good for a practice. (And is similar to other trance effects in some ways)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hunters Mind

This mind state is akin to a trance in which ones perception is uniquely honed to living things creatures do not recieve any benefit of having partial cover against you. However if you take damage while in this trance it breaks unless you make an exertion to maintain it (at the cost of a healing surge if your nature check to stay "in tune with nature" is insufficient)

Note how this works if one is using it for the combat benefit you "may" end up spending the healing surge (as a choice) ...

It probably needs an explicit enhances foraging (hunting) bonus as well.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Cold Reading / Hidden Interrogation

Cold Reading - allows one to surreptitiously gather information from someone without them knowing it. This is sometimes used in spy activities and sometimes used to claim unknown or magical sources. In the latter case it becomes effectively Insight used to perform Bluff.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This allows one to surreptitiously gather information from someone without them knowing it. This is sometimes used in spy activities and sometimes used to claim unknown or magical sources. In the latter case it becomes effectively Insight used to perform Bluff.

There I go enabling Woo Scammers

Remove ads