D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In case anyone missed it it looks like I may have about tripled the support for martial practices and adjusted their in play balance to be closer to the DMG2 sensibilities and a match for rituals (as well as potential improvised functionality)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Focused Techniques
The following require focus and are analogous to weapon, shield and or armor enchantments.

Giant Slayer if you are focused you can pick out the vulnerability of larger targets
Limber Joints (escape artistry) incompatible with physical armor
Sparking Strike - typically done with normal/non-magical weaponry rather than unarmed techniques. The sparks are often from metal splintering on the edges of the weapon - A greater charge can be released daily - it is said that even though the weapon maybe mundane the heros aura extends around it to an unusual degree and they are one with it, in this regards it is functionally like a personal heritage binding.
Blood Control - your mastery over the blood flow of your body inures you to what might be critical harm if you are prepared at the moment of injury.

I am thinking that maybe taking the Vow of Independence / Riddle of Steel practice will increase the number of techniques you can focus at a time. Learning other techniques of suitable grade may impact this as well.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Sparking Strike - typically done with normal/non-magical weaponry rather than unarmed techniques. The sparks are often from metal splintering on the edges of the weapon - A greater charge can be released daily - it is said that even though the weapon maybe mundane the heros aura extends around it to an unusual degree and they are one with it, in this regards it is functionally like a personal heritage binding.

There can be only one....

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am thinking that maybe taking the Vow of Independence / Riddle of Steel practice will increase the number of techniques you can focus at a time. Learning other techniques of suitable grade may impact this as well.

Elaborating this thought we could have a martial focus rating
the first evasion technique improves martial focus by 1
the first 2 martial striking techniques improves martial focus by 1 each.
the first blocking technique one more unless you have learned 2 martial strikes
the vow of independence allows one more.

I am also thinking the focus techniques may create effects that are considered to be technique bonuses.. so they do not combine with one another.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Martial Technique inspired by Cuh Cuchulain.

Heated Blood
Throughout the course of battle your body builds up inner heat after a protracted battle you may need bathed in copious amounts of cool water to make you safe for allies and human company.

When you are bloodied, you gain an aura of radiant heat. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to you takes 2 fire damage. Technique requires focus - though technically what it does is forces out another item that takes focus .. rather like the brain over-heating inducing loss of a minor action and de-rezzing 1 technique using focus ;).

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Heated Blood
Throughout the course of battle your body builds up inner heat after a protracted battle you may need bathed in copious amounts of cool water to make you safe for allies and human company.

When you are bloodied, you gain an aura of radiant heat. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to you takes 2 fire damage. Technique requires focus - though perhaps what it does is forces out another technique that takes focus .. rather like the brain over-heating inducing loss of a minor action and de-rezzing 1 technique using focus ;).

I may need to make a separate out the Martial Technique list from martial practices

One could even extend techniques to include an analog to Dragonshard augments which can be combined with other techniques not require focus.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Heated Blood

When you are bloodied, you gain an aura of radiant heat. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to you takes 2 fire damage. Technique requires focus - though technically what it does is forces out another item that takes focus .. rather like the brain over-heating inducing loss of a minor action and de-rezzing 1 technique using focus ;).

This just reminded me of how many interesting things in 4e hinge around the bloodied status and that over all tempo premise of combatants surging from behind.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I suspect that after my adjustments Martial Power III will include a full representation of Martial Practices, so in that regards I will be including more accompanying, flavor.

The following is basically a composite definition of Martial practices derived from the descriptions in Martial Power II.

Martial Practices

Martial practices are defined as rare and challenging methods (often requiring great exertion) which may be learned by martial classes as exercises or discovered like talents which are generally akin to rituals in terms of what can be achieved and how they can thereafter be performed when suitable time and energy and sometimes equipment is available.

The term techniques was also used in the original descriptions but since I am introducing that as a distinct game term, I thought it made sense not to include it.

Last edited:

Remove ads