D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Developmental Practices

Developmental Practices
Learning certain practices are functionally free for instance Sensei/Martial Mastery,Consuming the Blood of the Mighty, Oath of Independence / Riddle of Steel - resources spent learning them are converted into Karma points similar to if you donated to a charity, these are basically story enablers for things which are part of the standard development assumed by the game , ie the game rather assumes the control of the direction for character development is already something you have as a player, paying for the privilege would be like paying to have control over what feats you learn or what paragon path/epic destiny you have.

Note for Arcane Power II --> similarly disenchant or enchant magic item or shamanic gift awakenings and such will also be similarly handled.

To have a place for my adjustments to rituals I may be making an Arcane Power II.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Developmental Practices
Learning certain practices are functionally free for instance Sensei/Martial Mastery,Consuming the Blood of the Mighty, Oath of Independence / Riddle of Steel - resources spent learning them are converted into Karma points similar to if you donated to a charity, these are basically story enablers for things which are part of the standard development assumed by the game , ie the game rather assumes the control of the direction for character development is already something you have as a player, paying for the privilege would be like paying to have control over what feats you learn or what paragon path/epic destiny you have.

Note for Arcane Power II --> similarly disenchant or enchant magic item or shamanic gift awakenings and such will also be similarly handled.

To have a place for my adjustments to rituals I may be making an Arcane Power II.

I have convinced myself that raise the dead rituals and similar also qualify for this... perhaps even a ritual that changed a characters race permanently.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Very few games have a concept for things like martial practices... HERO can obviously do anything. 4e barely developed it at all, but it very much could have been. Heroes of Myth and Legend also does by flexible flavor. And out in the wild world of RPGs you have games like Fate where the standard improvised interpretation of aspects should work.

But it is rather unique I think at an industry level.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am thinking that maybe taking the Vow of Independence / Riddle of Steel practice will increase the number of techniques you can focus at a time. Learning other techniques of suitable grade may impact this as well.

If you actually use a magical weapon or armor it could also reduce you maximum focus at least temporarily, philosophically those who rely on these tools are distracted by or become dependent on them, hence the vow of independence.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If you actually use a magical weapon or armor it could also reduce you maximum focus at least temporarily, philosophically those who rely on these tools are distracted by or become dependent on them, hence the vow of independence.

Martial Focus conceptually relates to things like 5e Attunement and PF2 resonance... both of which i find intriguing.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So I am considering whether heads would explode if we worked out the costing for and implementation of Martial Practices in a way based in using Hit Dice for 5e ;) ....

I know it would be my head exploding.

Well, I'm not sure how HD are REALLY materially different from 4e HS. I mean there are differences in detail, but the concept is pretty much the same. I already transmogrified HS into Vitality Points in HoML and use them for lots of stuff, so the whole concept is pretty much a done deal. Even 4e HAS the concept, though it was not used very extensively.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well, I'm not sure how HD are REALLY materially different from 4e HS. I mean there are differences in detail, but the concept is pretty much the same. I already transmogrified HS into Vitality Points in HoML and use them for lots of stuff, so the whole concept is pretty much a done deal. Even 4e HAS the concept, though it was not used very extensively.

i have seen someone call them Heroic Surges in a 4e derived game, to actually remove the pure heal implications and keep the HS abbreviation .... I kind of like Heroic Exertion the names are different but also broaden the use and concept

(hit dice are just dumb tradition mongering)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, I'm not sure how HD are REALLY materially different from 4e HS.
They have a comfortingly old-school name, they represent a great deal less staying power over the course of a day, and they are not triggered by healing powers.

I mean there are differences in detail, but the concept is pretty much the same. I already transmogrified HS into Vitality Points in HoML and use them for lots of stuff, so the whole concept is pretty much a done deal. Even 4e HAS the concept, though it was not used very extensively.
I think it'd've been nice if they'd been called 'Heroic Surges' and powered more than just healing....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
They have a comfortingly old-school name, they represent a great deal less staying power over the course of a day, and they are not triggered by healing powers.
Not used to limit Healing abilities ... HD do not vary in number by class only level gives them a different balance point.

I think it'd've been nice if they'd been called 'Heroic Surges' and powered more than just healing....

Well it would've been nice if they would have had Martial Practices along side rituals in the first place then HS would have, more obviously been about heroic effort and not entirely healing. I would say they gradually added more things too I have certainly seen magic item powers that triggered using them and rituals with them as additional costs too.

It occurs to me when thinking about the portability of these ideas that Martial Practices, Martial Techniques and Focus, Karma etc may largely seem elegant because of context.

Last edited:

Remove ads