D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am picturing Loki knowing what to trade for what not just the buying influence cheaply. Hmmmm "Finding the Perfect Price". It could be a story vehicle for the sequential item quest line perhaps could be leveraged into McGuffin some times.

It occurs to me when something is being used directly as a story vehicle it should be handled as a skill challenge or similar and when its luster isnt so central and it has become par for the course let it simply be a practice.

darkbard

Legend
A Knight Hospitalier Theme - will of course get the hospitality practice. (and may end up with a discount on usage)

This, along with the Bardic ... Signs of Influence (or whatever they're called) from ... Heroes of the Feywild, I think, is among my favorite of 4E's directly player-facing social mechanics for creating the fiction.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This, along with the Bardic ... Signs of Influence (or whatever they're called) from ... Heroes of the Feywild, I think, is among my favorite of 4E's directly player-facing social mechanics for creating the fiction.

Yup I liked it and the major issue I had with that one was it being bound in a class... I am of the free that puppy up opinion.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Its a video game, and one that was clearly inspired by RPGs

Oh rpgs have indeed had extraordinary impact ... the character massively feels like a 4e rogue and I see it as another foundation for martial practices in this case an extraordinary mobility that is ignored by other rules but readily covered as a practice.

Oh rpgs have indeed had extraordinary impact ... the character massively feels like a 4e rogue and I see it as another foundation for martial practices in this case an extraordinary mobility that is ignored by other rules but readily covered as a practice.

Yeah, something like 'Parkour Master' would maybe include a practice, which would let you sub in Acrobatics as a solution to various SC checks and whatnot, and a utility power to let you gain extra mobility by say crossing certain types of obstacles (though honestly 4e's abstractions of terrain make it hard for me to formulate an exact power text).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, something like 'Parkour Master' would maybe include a practice, which would let you sub in Acrobatics as a solution to various SC checks and whatnot, and a utility power to let you gain extra mobility by say crossing certain types of obstacles (though honestly 4e's abstractions of terrain make it hard for me to formulate an exact power text).

I think concluding skill powers and martial practices are intimately connected might be inevitable
ie it is kind of a next step

OR we can take that other direction rather like the idea of having prepared practice.

In this case we have a prepared practice allowing one to Parkour (acrobatic climbing and speed movement through terrain and climbing features) without spending the time to examine and plan your path.

Terrain types might be a way to split up the learning alah tree top runner, roof top runner, mountain strider.

I think concluding skill powers and martial practices are intimately connected might be inevitable
ie it is kind of a next step

OR we can take that other direction rather like the idea of having prepared practice.

In this case we have a prepared practice allowing one to Parkour (acrobatic climbing and speed movement through terrain and climbing features) without spending the time to examine and plan your path.

Terrain types might be a way to split up the learning alah tree top runner, roof top runner, mountain strider.

Well, then it is a next step that HoML has taken, because its been evolving to this model for a while now. You get a boon, Parkour Master, Adept of Fire, etc. You get a power, sometimes up to three powers, added to your power list (you still have to pick them, which you might or might not do), as well as one of my style of practices (which term I use to encompass all similar things, some of which would be called 'rituals' in 4e). HoML style practices always work like "you can do X, make a Y check to succeed, or expend a Z." The 'X' part describes a NARRATIVE thing, which you can then work into whatever is happening in a given SC with narrative coherency.

So the 'Adept of Fire' could maybe elect to be able to cast a Fire Burst, generate a Dancing Flame, and cast Fireball. As a practice he could exert control over normal fires, generating smoke, making a fire grow or go out, etc. This control could be used to burn something down, obscure your path, etc. Further techniques might allow things like condensing an effect like that into a permanent consumable, so you could make a smoke stick or something like that (but then you have to lock a surge into it if you want to keep it for more than a day or give it to someone).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So the 'Adept of Fire' could maybe elect to be able to cast a Fire Burst, generate a Dancing Flame, and cast Fireball. As a practice he could exert control over normal fires, generating smoke, making a fire grow or go out, etc. This control could be used to burn something down, obscure your path, etc. Further techniques might allow things like condensing an effect like that into a permanent consumable, so you could make a smoke stick or something like that (but then you have to lock a surge into it if you want to keep it for more than a day or give it to someone).

With my karma points abstraction seems like it would work better for this than locking a surge.

Remove ads