D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

• [*=1]Reflexive (Int or Dex) + 2 , quick thinking or nervous response.
    [*=1]Focused Reflexive (Int or Dex) + 3 (-1 on checks)
    [*=1]Zen (Wis or Cha) + 2, deception / perception
    [*=1]Focused Zen (Wis or Cha) + 3 (-1 on checks)
    [*=1]Chi (Str or Con) + 2, deflecting with might (or life force or wild instinctive movement)
    [*=1]Focused Chi (Str or Con) + 3 (-1 on checks)

At first glance these may seem to be Martial Techniques of purely eastern flavor... but consider the Celtic Martial Practices of Wearing Woad or More Generically War Paints where intimidation and bolstered confidence are combined with mobility and an unarmored warrior becomes awesome.

The focused techniques might represent the more elaborate Woad where putting it on is part of achieving the focus or even ones achieved with tattoos as a focus image for achieving the mind state.

simon-eckert-smite-cuchulainn.jpg

Last edited:

At first glance these may seem to be Martial Techniques of purely eastern flavor... but consider the Celtic Martial Practices of Wearing Woad or More Generically War Paints where intimidation and bolstered confidence are combined with mobility and an unarmored warrior becomes awesome.

The focused techniques might represent the more elaborate Woad where putting it on is part of achieving the focus or even ones achieved with tattoos as a focus image for achieving the mind state.

View attachment 98027

Eastern, Western, these are fairly useless terms in describing stuff in fantasy worlds. Its easy to achieve either flavor. They're generally what seem to be techniques which result from focus, discipline, training, and extreme determination.

For your amusement ;)

HoML Practice Rules '2.0'

I'd note that this section classifies practices as a type of 'utility power'. In HoML parlance these are an open-ended category, characters can potentially have limitless numbers of them available, so the term doesn't imply severe limits on use, as it would in 4e.

I make no claim that this is a categorical list, its just whatever I have, kind of randomly, implemented or needed in my play and for my own amusement. MOST of the rules of HoML are, still, pretty close to 4e in general structure, so they should all make sense.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
For your amusement ;)

HoML Practice Rules '2.0'

I'd note that this section classifies practices as a type of 'utility power'. In HoML parlance these are an open-ended category, characters can potentially have limitless numbers of them available, so the term doesn't imply severe limits on use, as it would in 4e.

I make no claim that this is a categorical list, its just whatever I have, kind of randomly, implemented or needed in my play and for my own amusement. MOST of the rules of HoML are, still, pretty close to 4e in general structure, so they should all make sense.

i have definitely been seeing those ideas build havent I

i have definitely been seeing those ideas build havent I

I will freely admit that a bunch of these were your suggestions! :)

I think the description for Dispel Magic should be something like this:

Description
You disrupt a targeted magical effect which is within 20 squares. Effects like spells created by other mortal beings end. Effects of a more pervasive nature may simply be subdued for a short time period sufficient for the PCs to carry out their agenda. Powerful items such as artifacts likewise fail to function for a short period of time.

Remove ads