Lists of what I am not allowing will be passed around the room.

It looks to me like I will have to go through Next with a fine tooth comb and make a list of what I don't want to use, and pass that around to my players. In my opinion this seems like it's going to be a lot of work and that player's can't have expectations until after they have spoken with their DM.
This first post is not terribly clear, but later on in the thread it seems that what you're actually saying is that the "module" approach described for D&D Next is to likely force you to expend a lot of time and energy designed which modular components to use or reject. Correct?

I think this is the core of what's happening. D&D Next is effectively making the transition into "generic system" territory, and that shift comes with some baggage.

That being said, generic systems aren't for everybody.

You have some points there, but part of the reason I was looking forward to it was a lot less work than HERO. You say "Common races and classes, and these Modules : X Y Z" and you are done. :D

I dunno how the Next will run - but I like the idea of flexibility in the game to create the campaign you want. I remember them saying that the modules, dials and switched allow a GM to build his game like a player builds his character. I like that.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It looks to me like I will have to go through Next with a fine tooth comb and make a list of what I don't want to use, and pass that around to my players. In my opinion this seems like it's going to be a lot of work and that player's can't have expectations until after they have spoken with their DM.

Same here. And to me... that's a good thing. As a DM, I don't get to design a character, so instead, I get to design my game and campaign world. And part of the fun is picking and choosing what I want to use to create it.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
This first post is not terribly clear, but later on in the thread it seems that what you're actually saying is that the "module" approach described for D&D Next is to likely force you to expend a lot of time and energy designed which modular components to use or reject. Correct?

That's correct! Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Redbadge

Explorer
I don't think it'll take that much effort to select modules or excise options. In many cases, I assume you'll have to make a decision about what to include in your game.

For example, under the Health and Long Rest dial, I'd expect to see something like the following:

Heroic <--> Balanced <--> Gritty (Choose one):

A. Heroic: Regain all HP and HD after a long rest.
B. Balanced: Regain all HD after a long rest (you may spend them to regain HP).
C. Gritty: Regain 1 HD per long rest (you may spend it to regain HP).

Sidebar--> Explains each option on the dial and how to place the dial in between options, or even lower or higher.

Now obviously, you will have to excise some of these, since it would be hard to use all three simultaneously. Also, note that all three healing systems are default, core systems, so noones preferences are out of the spotlight, so to speak (new players are introduced to all three simultaneously, etc.) Rinse and repeat with other aspects of your game, such as ability scores and races. The rarity system of the races already points to this:

A. Include Rare, Uncommon, and Common Races
B. Include Uncommon and Common Races
C. Include only Common Races

If the "packages" are properly aligned, it might even be so easy for you to tell your players, "We're going for all C packages for this campaign."

Remove ads