live-action big-screen adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender

tecnowraith

First Post
Check this out: http://www.mania.com/53268.html

According to the Hollywood Reporter, M. Night Shyamalan will write, direct and produce the live-action big-screen adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Avatar is set in a world balanced on four nations -- Water, Earth, Fire and Air. In each society, there are masters who can manipulate their native elements -- Waterbenders, Earthbenders, Firebenders and Airbenders -- while the one person who can master all four is the Avatar.

When the current Avatar, a 12-year-old boy still learning to master his powers, seemingly dies, the Fire nation launches a war for global domination. One hundred years later, two teens discover and free the Avatar and his flying bison from suspended animation, and he must fight to restore harmony among the four nations.

Shyamalan, Paramount Pictures MTV Films and Nick Movies all plan to make this a three picture series with Shyamalan staying involved throughout.

This will be the first time Shyamalan will direct a film based on material he didn't create.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Let me guess:

Shyamalan will play the Avatar, and in the end we find out the bison's the one with powers.

JoeBlank

Explorer
This worries me, although I like Shamalamdingdong.

I've only just started watching the series, thanks to my 6 year old son. He started watching them on television, but we realized the ongoing plot was actually good. So he got the DVDs for Christmas and we are working to get caught up.

I'd hate to see a slowly evolving plot mashed into a two hour movie. The movie might be good, but it will be so different from watching an entire series.

tecnowraith

First Post
Another Article about the film:

Source: Variety January 9, 2007

According to Variety, M. Night Shyamalan and Paramount are planning their own "Avatar" project, based on the popular Nickelodoen kids TV series.

The filmmaker has signed a three-picture deal with Paramount's MTV Films and Nick Movies to adapt the animated children's series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" for the big screen. He will write, direct and produce the potential kids franchise. The film version will be live-action.

Nick TV's "Avatar" follows the adventures of the successor to a long line of Avatars who must put aside his irresponsible ways and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water, Earth and Air nations. The show was created by Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko.

The trade adds that Paramount confirmed the deal with Shyamalan just hours after 20th Century Fox announced it has given the green light to James Cameron's Avatar.

Although they may have the same name, the two projects have nothing to do with each other in terms of storylines. Cameron's is a sci-fi action-adventure that he's been working on for 11 years.

Paramount said it has registered the name of its project with the Motion Picture Association of America. A Fox rep said, "We own the movie title 'Avatar.' There won't be another film called 'Avatar' coming from anyplace."

LightPhoenix

First Post
I've never seen A:TLA, but my brother loves it.

I'm not a huge fan of Shyamalan as a writer (except to some extent Unbreakable), so I can't say I'm interested. That said, I am interested to see how he handles someone else's story and ideas... it could turn out to be really good. Of course, I also see the words "based on" and get wary... and I haven't seen the source material.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Light,

The source material is pretty good. I just think it could be more adult and if Night take's that approach, I'll be fairly interested. If however he sticks to the storylines and characters, it will still be good. Just not as compelling perhaps.

Remove ads