live-action big-screen adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender

Rykion

Explorer
I'm a big fan of Avatar: TLA, but I don't want to see it as a live action movie. The magic and impossible martial arts look good animated. Live action could look really bad if the effects aren't done well. I also don't have much faith in teenage and pre-teen actors doing a good job with the lead characters. My main hope is that the show lasts long enough to finish the main plotline. If the movie were to do poorly, it could take the show with it.

bento

Explorer
The only good thing that might come out of this is an emphasis to speed up producing MORE episodes of the series. Waiting six months or more for the next season stinks. And then the like to take a three or four month break in the middle of the season!

On the otherhand, A:TLA series could go downhill with the sudden rush to merchandise and get more "stuff" out there. Look at Spongebob, which hasn't improved since the movie came out. Of course the movie and TV show used the same set of talent...

F5

Explorer
I suspect that they're waiting so long between seasons because they have to replace Mako. Movie version aside, that's the thing I'm most worried about; Iroh is one of the most nuanced and (in his own way!) subtle characters in the show, and getting a lousy replacement voice actor will really take away a lot from the show, I think. So, they're taking their time and getting it right...maybe?

But, not to digress from the actual topic of the thread, I think Shyamalan will do OK...when Lady in the Water came out, I remember reading how he was inspired to make the movie based on stories he told his kids. Kids, who would be about the right age demographic to be Avatar fans now. I bet they got him to make the movie in the first place, and he knows that if he messes with the show too much, he'll have hell to pay at home... ;)

sniffles

First Post
What worries me more is the casting. Hollywood just doesn't know how to cast decent juvenile actors. With a few exceptions, most child actors mug to the camera and overact horribly and that's considered 'cute'. I just can't imagine any live actors being as charming and subtle as the animated characters.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I have no faith that he will get the authentic martial arts forms wrong correct. I have a feeling it will all end up as nothing more than choreographed dance moves, especially if it is cast with conventional young Hollywood talent.

[Edit: That's my brain distracted because my wife is out of town for the weekend]

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Eric,

Care to clarify that statement. There's some ambiguity to that statement.

Sniffles,

That is true. Cast Aang, Sokka, and Katara will be difficult enough. How do cast Zuko, Iroh, or even Azula and/or Toph?

AdmundfortGeographer

Nightfall said:
Eric,

Care to clarify that statement. There's some ambiguity to that statement.
Wasn't just ambiguity, it was muddleheaded thinking on my part! I fixed it. Whoops!

I have a friend I used to game with who was a double black belt in Bah Gua. He tried to get me into it, showed me some basics. But he really knew the ins and outs of various kung fu disciplines. After a while I started to be able to spot the actual differences in martial arts in films, not nearly as well as he can. After having seen a few episodes I noticed that each Bending style used a distinct martial art. The DVD set for the first season confirmed it in the extras on the first disc. Tai Chi is used for Water Bending, Tiger and Crane is used for Earth Bending, Northern Shaolin is for Fire Bending, and Bah Gua is used for Air Bending.

You can draw kids doing the forms easily. Having a real kid actually do them is not easy.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Eric,

I see so basically you'd have to get the cast to know four types of martial arts just to get the right forms eh?

Also Eric might want to consider cleaning up that second sentence there as well.

Eric Anondson said:
It have a feeling it will

See?

AdmundfortGeographer

Nightfall said:
Eric,

I see so basically you'd have to get the cast to know four types of martial arts just to get the right forms eh?
Aang at least would need to be able to perform all four. He's the Avatar and supposedly the master of all four. The other cast members would really only need to know their own form.

Adults I can see being able to perform their forms well. But the children who are the focus of the story, not so much, especially if they are Hollywood kid stars. I think Shyamalan will take a short cut and invent some gestures that look like the show.

What do I know, Yuen Wo Ping got the cast of the Matrix to look impressive. Maybe someone can work Hollywood magic on children. :)

Remove ads