• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Live Dungeons & Dragons Q&A Friday, June 6 Question Thread

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Oh, I'm well aware. Which is why I take when I get it!

Oh well, I hope you are the only one, because if all English speakers suddenly decide to make it a regular and consistent language I'll be out of business and will have to resort to work on German or some other less popular language...

Agamon

Adventurer
Over here in Canada, eh, there's a hockey team that plays out of the center of the universe (sorry, centre of the universe) called the Maple Leafs. They aren't the Maple Leaves, because of the whole proper noun thing. So everyone is like, go Leafs! or Leafs suck! ...so, well, staffs doesn't sound so odd up here. But that don't mean it's right.

Anyway, the point is, if it's a proper noun, it's Staffs. If not, it's staves. Now take off, hoser.

MoonSong

Over here in Canada, eh, there's a hockey team that plays out of the center of the universe (sorry, centre of the universe) called the Maple Leafs. They aren't the Maple Leaves, because of the whole proper noun thing. So everyone is like, go Leafs! or Leafs suck! ...so, well, staffs doesn't sound so odd up here. But that don't mean it's right.

Anyway, the point is, if it's a proper noun, it's Staffs. If not, it's staves. Now take off, hoser.

No, it doesn't work like that. Language ain't a monolithic thingy. As long as it sound right for some people it is right -for those people at least.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Dunno why, but "long sword" resonates with me more. Longsword is like thunderbite goblins and fastclaw wolves and all that other compound noun tomfoolery.
The funny part? In Norwegian, you are supposed to compound the nouns, otherwise you quickly end up writing completely different from your intention. That English doesn't do it is just really confusing...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Maybe in your accent. Not in mine! "Staffs" sounds like toddler-speak to me.

Say what?

"The XYZ temp agency staffs our Newport warehouse for us." Staffs is an actual word, as the plural of staff, as in proving people employed by a company :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Say what?

"The XYZ temp agency staffs our Newport warehouse for us." Staffs is an actual word, as the plural of staff, as in proving people employed by a company :)

Actually no, in that context it's the verb "to staff", not the plural of the noun "staff". And it's OK there. And yes, I know you know that, and I know you're joking. Yet I still feel compelled to explain it to you in a mildly patronising manner.

What can I say? Internet. It breaks us.

MoonSong

Actually no, in that context it's the verb "to staff", not the plural of the noun "staff". And it's OK there. And yes, I know you know that, and I know you're joking. Yet I still feel compelled to explain it to you in a mildly patronising manner.

What can I say? Internet. It breaks us.

According to word reference both are equally valid as plurals of staff, they are geo-synonymous, with staves being the British name and staffs the American one. As I was tellin' language is a weird thing.

Remove ads