• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Live Dungeons & Dragons Q&A Friday, June 6 Question Thread

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I never bothered to look or pay attention on 2e books, but I'm sure 4e and the srd spell it as "staffs", both are practically indistinguishable from each other when spoken out loud anyway.

I did some quick searches to back up my memory, but I can't quickly find anything.

My memory tells me the change happened from 3e to 3.5.

Thaumaturge.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I never bothered to look or pay attention on 2e books, but I'm sure 4e and the srd spell it as "staffs", both are practically indistinguishable from each other when spoken out loud anyway.

Maybe in your accent. Not in mine! "Staffs" sounds like toddler-speak to me.

Remathilis

Legend
I like staves. It fits the symmetry.

An elf with a staff fought a dwarf on a wolf.

Some elves with staves fought dwarves on wolves.

Some elfs with staffs fought dwarfs on wolfs.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Maybe in your accent. Not in mine! "Staffs" sounds like toddler-speak to me.

Maybe, I know I speak very badly and I'm not familiar with all of the accents, though according to me the only difference is in a single swap from voiced form voiceless that is bound to be indistinguishable when speaking at a normal or fast pace. Both should be one syllable words... Or maybe the difference in the main vowel between accents makes too much of a difference...

Remove ads