• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Living Greyhawk Monk, 1st Draft

Tetsubo

First Post
I haven't added the flavor text in yet, but I'd like some opinions on this Living Greyhawk build. TIA

Morgan Willowleaf

Human Male, Monk, 1st Level, Lawful Good

Str: 14 (6 points) +2
Dex: 14 (6 points) +2
Con: 14 (6 points) +2
Int: 12 (4 points) +1
Wis: 14 (6 points) +2
Cha: 8 (0 points) -1
28 Point Buy

Base Speed: 30
Languages: Common and ???

HP: 10
Initiative: +6 (+2 DX, +4 Improved Initiative)
BAB: +0
BAB Melee: +2 (+2 ST)
BAB Missile: +2 (+2 DX)
Flurry of Blows: +0/+0 (+2/+2 ST)
Saves: Fort +4 (+2 CN), Ref +4 (+2 DX), and Will +4 (+2 WS)
Armour Class: 14 (+2 DW, +2 WS)

Skills: 1st level points: 24 (4 + 1 (+1 IN)) x 4 + 4 (Human Bonus) = 24
6 each following level (4 + 1 (+1 IN)) +1 (Human Bonus) = 6

Class Skills:
Balance (DX) +4 (2 Ranks, +2 DX Bonus)
Climb (ST) +4 (2 Ranks, +2 ST Bonus)
Concentration (CN) +2 (+2 CN Bonus)
Escape Artist (DX) +6 (4 Ranks, +2 DX Bonus)
Hide (DX) +2 (+2 DX Bonus)
Jump (ST) +4 (2 Ranks, +2 ST Bonus)
Knowledge (Religion) (IN) +4 (2 Ranks, +2 IN Bonus)
Listen (WS) +6 (4 Ranks, +2 WS Bonus)
Move Silently (DX) +2 (+2 DX Bonus)
Sense Motive (WS) +4 (2 Ranks, +2 WS Bonus)
Spot (WS) +6 (4 Ranks, +2 WS Bonus)
Swim (ST) +4 (2 Ranks, +2 ST Bonus)
Tumble (DX) +6 (4 Ranks, +2 DX Bonus)

Cross-class Skills:
Heal (WS) +2 (+2 WS Bonus)
Ride (DX) +2 (+2 DX Bonus)
Search (IN) +2 (+2 IN Bonus)
Survival (WS) +2 (+2 WS Bonus)
Use Rope (DX) +2 (+2 DX Bonus)

Feats: 3 total at 1st level
Improved Grapple: Do not provoke an AoO, +4 on Grapple checks.
Improved Initiative: +4 on Initiative checks.
Stunning Fist: Stun opponent with Unarmed Attack, DC 12 save vs. Fort (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + WS Bonus). Usable 1/day per Monk level.

Equipment:
Backpack
Bed Roll
Mess Kit
Waterskin
Wool Cap
Sandals
Two changes of clothes
1 Dagger (1d4 19-20/x2, 10 ft. RI. 1 lb. Piercing or slashing)
1 Quaterstaff (1d6/1d6 x2, Bludgeoning)
2 Kama (1d6 x2, Slashing, Trip Attacks)
1 Sling (1d4 x2, 50 ft. RI, Bludgeoning)
Flint & Steel
Rations (week)
Grooming Kit
Belt Pouch (7 gp)

Description:

Morgan is a solidly built 6’ tall human male. He has long, dark brown hair, often worn in a single braid. He has green eyes and a tanned complexion. His clothing is simple and plain, that befitting a Monk. His equipment is worn but well cared for.

Personal History:

Goals:

Personality:

Build Plan: Feat Choices and Ability Boosts.

1st Level: Feats (Improved Initiative, Improved Grapple, and Stunning Fist)

2nd Level: Feat (Combat Reflexes)

3rd Level: Feat (Weapon Focus: Unarmed Attack)

4th Level: , +1 DX

5th Level: N/A

6th Level: Feat (Weapon Finesse: Unarmed Attack)

7th Level: N/A

8th Level: N/A, +1 WS

9th Level: Feat (Improved Critical: Unarmed Strike)

10th Level: N/A

11th Level: N/A

12th Level: Feat (Axiomatic Strike), +1 DX

13th Level: N/A

14th Level: N/A

15th Level: Feat (Power Critical: Unarmed Attack)

16th Level: +1 WS

Endur

First Post
Looks good.

1) Improved Critical can't come before 12th level as a feat for Monks.
2) I would put all the level up stat bonuses into wisdom; wis more valuable than dex
3) I would drop Weapon Finesse and pick a different feat; with high str you don't need WF.
4) Why Improved Initiative ... when you are not a spellcaster or a rogue, II is less useful?
5) Don't forget the Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack Chain ... Spring Attack can be very useful at high levels when you can use your high movement to move in, do a stunning attack on the enemy, and then move away from the enemy if he makes his saving throw.

mzsylver

Explorer
You Needs Strength

Hey

Thank you for starting with a 14 Str. I would recommend putting level points into Str (and maybe Wis) and not Dex. Weapon Finessing monks in Living Greyhawk... well... they shouldnt exist. They usually can't do much from what I've seen.

If you feel like dropping Improved Init & Weapon Focus & Weapon Finesse... Dodge Mobility and Elusive Target are fabulous (mainly Elusive Target).

Combat Reflexes and Improved Grapple are excellent selections. They work well, especially if you are Enlarged or Polymorphed. I believe there is a feat that gives you bonuses to grappling larger creatures... though it may only work for escaping. Also, Hold the Line is great with Combat Reflexes.

Random side note... Sun School is really neat cause it lets you take a single attack (like to grapple that wizard) after Ddooring.

Keep the Listen Skill up. If you ever get a Ring of Spellstoring (or Ioun Stone), Listening Lorecall is AMAZING. All PCs must have it.

Let us know what you do.

What region are you from?

Tetsubo

First Post
Endur said:
Looks good.

1) Improved Critical can't come before 12th level as a feat for Monks.
2) I would put all the level up stat bonuses into wisdom; wis more valuable than dex
3) I would drop Weapon Finesse and pick a different feat; with high str you don't need WF.
4) Why Improved Initiative ... when you are not a spellcaster or a rogue, II is less useful?
5) Don't forget the Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack Chain ... Spring Attack can be very useful at high levels when you can use your high movement to move in, do a stunning attack on the enemy, and then move away from the enemy if he makes his saving throw.

1) Moved it to 12th and took Eyes In The Back Of Your Head at 9th.
2) I agree, all of them will go into Wisdom.
3) I dropped Weapon Finesse and took Ability Focus: Stunning Fist.
4) I always take Improved Initiative if I can. I'm a firm believer that he who hits first, lives longest.
5) It is a nice Feat chain. But I can't achieve the build I want with it.

Thanks for the advice.

Tetsubo

First Post
mzsylver said:
Hey

Thank you for starting with a 14 Str. I would recommend putting level points into Str (and maybe Wis) and not Dex. Weapon Finessing monks in Living Greyhawk... well... they shouldnt exist. They usually can't do much from what I've seen.

If you feel like dropping Improved Init & Weapon Focus & Weapon Finesse... Dodge Mobility and Elusive Target are fabulous (mainly Elusive Target).

Combat Reflexes and Improved Grapple are excellent selections. They work well, especially if you are Enlarged or Polymorphed. I believe there is a feat that gives you bonuses to grappling larger creatures... though it may only work for escaping. Also, Hold the Line is great with Combat Reflexes.

Random side note... Sun School is really neat cause it lets you take a single attack (like to grapple that wizard) after Ddooring.

Keep the Listen Skill up. If you ever get a Ring of Spellstoring (or Ioun Stone), Listening Lorecall is AMAZING. All PCs must have it.

Let us know what you do.

What region are you from?

See my reply above.

I'm in Bissel (sp?).

Thanks for your advice.

kjenks

First Post
You're a grappler with BAB +0 and a mediocre strength? Well, good luck on THAT. A standard elf wizard (grapple -1) will kick your butt 22.75% of the time.

No clubs? They make dandy missile weapons and they're free. You didn't buy any shuriken?

Don't forget that you'll likely need 12 gp to cover Standard lifestyle on your first AR so your 7 gp remaining will be insufficient.

You get a free set of clothing at character creation in LG.

SRD
===
EQUIPMENT
Assume a character owns at least one outfit of normal clothes. Pick any one of the following clothing outfits: artisan’s outfit, entertainer’s outfit, explorer’s outfit, monk’s outfit, peasant’s outfit, scholar’s outfit, or traveler’s outfit.
===

Get an explorer’s outfit for free, then sell it at the end of the adventure for 10/2=5 gp and buy a peasant’s outfit for 1 sp. Woot! 4.9 gp profit! After your first AR, spend it on smokesticks, tanglefoot bags, acid, caltrops, Potion CLW, Potion Invisibility. Those potions will almost guarantee that you will live to reach level 2.

Check your local metaorgs. You may need to choose languages, skills and feats to qualify for membership. Metaorg involvement can also aid you in your quest for "flavor text" by directing a character concept which corresponds to the direction of the campaign; this makes it more likely that your character concept will be supported in the region where you play.

In Bissel, it might be fun to be a Ket sympathiser, secretly working for one of the lawful Ket metaorgs. Information about Bissel meta-organizations can be found in the Bissel Meta-Org Book.

http://bissel.living-greyhawk.com/files/Meta-org Book v2.05.pdf

To learn more about Bissel:

http://bissel.living-greyhawk.com/bissel_intro.html

A better group to ask about LG character concepts:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/lgchardiscussion/messages

Legildur

First Post
Weakening Touch (Complete Warrior) is also a useful feat, but needs Wis 17, that complements grappling well... no save to weaken your opponent on a successful (declared) unarmed strike. It also works well with your bonus feats available at 6th level...

Speaking of which, where is your Improved Disarm or Improved Trip for your 6th level bonus feat? Improved Disarm works well with quarterstaff and Improved Trip with Kamas.

Tetsubo

First Post
kjenks said:
You're a grappler with BAB +0 and a mediocre strength? Well, good luck on THAT. A standard elf wizard (grapple -1) will kick your butt 22.75% of the time.

No clubs? They make dandy missile weapons and they're free. You didn't buy any shuriken?

Don't forget that you'll likely need 12 gp to cover Standard lifestyle on your first AR so your 7 gp remaining will be insufficient.

You get a free set of clothing at character creation in LG.

SRD
===
EQUIPMENT
Assume a character owns at least one outfit of normal clothes. Pick any one of the following clothing outfits: artisan’s outfit, entertainer’s outfit, explorer’s outfit, monk’s outfit, peasant’s outfit, scholar’s outfit, or traveler’s outfit.
===

Get an explorer’s outfit for free, then sell it at the end of the adventure for 10/2=5 gp and buy a peasant’s outfit for 1 sp. Woot! 4.9 gp profit! After your first AR, spend it on smokesticks, tanglefoot bags, acid, caltrops, Potion CLW, Potion Invisibility. Those potions will almost guarantee that you will live to reach level 2.

Check your local metaorgs. You may need to choose languages, skills and feats to qualify for membership. Metaorg involvement can also aid you in your quest for "flavor text" by directing a character concept which corresponds to the direction of the campaign; this makes it more likely that your character concept will be supported in the region where you play.

In Bissel, it might be fun to be a Ket sympathiser, secretly working for one of the lawful Ket metaorgs. Information about Bissel meta-organizations can be found in the Bissel Meta-Org Book.

http://bissel.living-greyhawk.com/files/Meta-org Book v2.05.pdf

To learn more about Bissel:

http://bissel.living-greyhawk.com/bissel_intro.html

A better group to ask about LG character concepts:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/lgchardiscussion/messages

Thanks for the links.

I have ZERO experience with LG. I wouldn't be playing except it's the only game I've found in my area. :)

I'll fix the money issue. The shuriken have never really attracted me. I'll think about them. He's got a sling but a club or two might not be a bad idea.

mzsylver

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
See my reply above.

I'm in Bissel (sp?).

Thanks for your advice.

Ah, I live in Bissel part of the year. You may want to check out these two sites for gamedays:
http://www.geocities.com/dwalker911/yourmovegames/
http://www.geocities.com/dwalker911/scholars/

I DM a lot for them. I also run some stuff for a crowd at MIT (and most of them are pretty low level still) if you are interested. I dont believe anyone is playing a low level monk currently...

Good luck! =)

Remove ads