• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lizard/Snake Men

Heckler

First Post
I'm looking at the possibility of some kind of a reptilian campaign, and I'd like to add a few more races. Specifically I'm looking for races that are playable PC races, usually neutral and are in the same vein as the Monster Manual Lizardfolk. What I'm really looking for are some kind of "snakefolk," as I think I have enough lizards. Something like the naga from L5R, if they've been statted up. What I have so far:

Lizardfolk (MM)
Blackscale Lizardfolk (MMIII)
Poison Dusk Lizardfolk (MMIII)
Viletooth Lizardfolk (Dragon Magic)

I don't like the Yaun-ti, they're too weird, advanced and evil for what I need.

Ophidians are a possibility, but I need more options.

What else is out there, and where can I find it?

Set

First Post
Reptilian humanoids;

Lizardfolk, Yuan-Ti, Troglodytes, Kobolds (Sahuagin, Kuo-Toans, Locathah?) - Monster Manual

Blackscale Lizardfolk, Poison Dusk Lizardfolk - Monster Manual 2 or 3 (I forgetted)

Serpent Folk (civilized), Serpent Folk (savage) - Freeport: City of Adventure, The Freeport Trilogy

Asaatthi - Creature Collection, Revised, Vigil Watch: Asaatthi

phindar

First Post
The Monster Index is a good place to look up all the monsters with the Reptilian subtype, but be forewarned they use three seperate spellings of "Reptilian". So you have to check "Reptillian" and "Repitilian" to get them all.

Thurbane

First Post
I recently picked up Serpent Kingdoms, and even though I don't run a FR game, it has a ton of useful info for running Scaled races...

frankthedm

First Post
Heckler said:
What I'm really looking for are some kind of "snakefolk," as I think I have enough lizards. Something like the naga from L5R, if they've been statted up. What I have so far:
Those were in the Oriental Adventures 3E book IIRC.

Gilladian

Adventurer
You could also go a bit afield and use frog-type peoples, like the Grippli, the troglodytes, and I'm sure there are others. Grippli are a favorite of mine, but I like to tweak them to be magical in nature.

Thurbane

First Post
...you could also take more familiar humanoid and giant races, and give them the Reptilian template from savage species.

If you can get a hold of it, Lion's Den Press did a great series of "alternate" iconics, including the Illujan - a race of snake-people...

(I found a link in an old Enworld post to the free download for Illujans):
http://fierydragon.com/downloads/ccgold_illujan_we.pdf

Last edited:

Remove ads