Lizardfolk: New Ancestry from Lost Omens Character Guide

Paizo released the next in their previews of the new Pathfinder 2nd Edition ancestries to appear in the Lost Omens Character Guide: Lizardfolk.

Paizo released the next in their previews of the new Pathfinder 2nd Edition ancestries to appear in the Lost Omens Character Guide: Lizardfolk.

Lizardfolk.jpeg

Lizardfolk are Medium sized with 8 HP and a speed of 25 ft with ability boosts to Strength, Wisdom, and one free boost but with an ability flaw to Intelligence. Their sharpened claws give them a bonus to unarmed attacks, and they can hold their breath underwater for an extended period of time. And just like the previous previews, we've also got a look at one of the ancestry feats.

Lizardfolkfeat.png

The Pathfinder 2e Lost Omens Character Guide will be available on October 29, 2019, with a retail price of $34.99.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
I can't help but love that they get to hold their breath extra long. Big bonus if they sneeze salt if they live near the ocean.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I am very much a fan of what I see here. I'm not super enthusiastic about PC Hobgoblins or Leshy, but in the right context would be really happy to have an Iruxi (what Lizardfolk call themselves) in my game. I really like that they remain predatory and ancient. I really like the idea of ancient predator so while evolved to their niche that they have really never felt the need to change.

I also like how they explicitly call out where they are welcome and do not mince words about how they are likely to be treated elsewhere.

Paizo said:
When outlining the iruxi entry for the Lost Omens Character Guide, I asked for something that was truly primordial. Much like crocodiles or sharks, lizardfolk have been present on Golarion for spans of time that are unfathomable to the human mindset. Iruxi are old enough that some of their treasured ancestors are actually fossils. They had nations that were ancient before the elves even set foot on the planet, and they survived through the destruction of Earthfall not by fleeing or by magic, but by simple virtue of their nature as highly adapted predators. They may not have changed in millions—or even billions—of years, but that’s because they’re so well-evolved for their lifestyle that they haven’t needed to.

(Though if we follow the crocodile and shark metaphors too far, that might imply the existence of titanic lizardfolk that existed in prehistoric times. Eek!)

With the inexorable advance of faster-lived mammalian peoples across the globe, however, the iruxi are finding they cannot keep solely to themselves and their old ways anymore. Lizardfolk have so far preferred to be patient and think things through thoroughly before acting, but the tide is starting to turn, and more iruxi are turning their gaze to collaboration with other civilizations. Like hobgoblins and leshies, lizardfolk are an Uncommon ancestry. They are most welcome in lands such as the Mwangi Expanse, where the iruxi nation of Droon in southern Garund is a well-known fact, or in lawless wilds such as the River Kingdoms or the deserts of the Golden Road. While an iruxi might find acceptance elsewhere, many people react to lizard folk in the same way that they might respond to finding a large alligator lying on their sofa and wearing their slippers. That is to say, for all you reptile fans out there who are about to claim to be delighted by such a thing, not well.

I my last visit I gifted my niece, 8 year old, the RPG Tiny Dungeons, and we tried a game totally storytelling, without dices or character files. Her first PC was a lizardfolk, I guess because she loves dinosaurs.

Kaodi

Hero
Where has it ever been implied that Golarion was even millions or billions of years old? Those sorts of timescales do not tend to make sense in fantasy games with hordes of divine beings with active agendas.

MaskedGuy

Explorer
Where has it ever been implied that Golarion was even millions or billions of years old? Those sorts of timescales do not tend to make sense in fantasy games with hordes of divine beings with active agendas.

Well among others, article for Scepter of Ages(aka, the time traveling artifact) from Artifacts & Legends.

Thing about Golarion is that even with deities, there isn't really any proof of any of Golarion's races being divinely created instead of evolution :p Also the planet was originally just a lifeless world were they sealed Rovagug, so the life on it came much later on.

(there is also that deities of Golarion are active on multiple planets)

Kaodi

Hero
Suddenly I wish we were getting kobolds too because I think it could be fun to have a low-magic, quasi-post apocalyptic game where all most of the medium and bigger races are gone, leaving behind their "giant sized" ruins, and you can play gnomes, goblins, halflings, and kobolds, only gain spells through ancestry and non-spellcasting class abilities or by multiclassing into sorcerer.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Suddenly I wish we were getting kobolds too because I think it could be fun to have a low-magic, quasi-post apocalyptic game where all most of the medium and bigger races are gone, leaving behind their "giant sized" ruins, and you can play gnomes, goblins, halflings, and kobolds, only gain spells through ancestry and non-spellcasting class abilities or by multiclassing into sorcerer.

Kobolds and Orcs are among the ancestry options we will be getting in the Advanced Player's Guide next August. It's a long ways off, but it is happening.

Remove ads

Remove ads