• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lizardfolks in Dragon #268

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxx26

First Post
Hey everyone. I am running a campaign focusing on lizardfolks and recently came about the ones in Dragon #268. Has anyone done a conversion of them or has some ideas for the different types. Thanks for any input.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I don't believe they've been converted yet.

But we love requests around these parts, so we'll be happy to convert them for you. ;)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Maybe someone can post the stats? I'd suggest Echohawk, but I can't actually find these in his index (!). That's probably more to do with my ability to search the spreadsheet, though. :heh:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Click on "Source", select "Dragon #268" from the drop-down filter. Agrutha, Crocodilian, Geckonid, Iguanid and Varanid will show up. (As well as Beliarh and Infernal Avenger, but those are from a different article.)

To the best of my knowledge there are only four D&D creatures I can't post stats for ;).

Shade

Monster Junkie
I've got this issue as well, so we're swimming in stats. ;)

Echohawk -- I'm guessing the four you don't have are from that odd UK module (the name escapes me), eh?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Agrutha

CLIMATE/TERRAIN Temperate swamp
FREQUENCY Very rare
ORGANIZATION Tribal
ACTIVITY CYCLE Any
DIET Carnivore
INTELLIGENCE Low (5-7)
TREASURE D
ALIGNMENT Neutral

NO. APPEARING 1-8
ARMOR CLASS 5
MOVEMENT 6, swim 12
HIT DICE 4+3
THAC0 17
NO. OF ATTACKS 3 or 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK 1-4/1-4/1-6 or 1-10
SPECIAL ATTACKS Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE Nil
SIZE M (7'-8' tall)
MORALE Champion (15-16)
XP VALUE 120
Leader 175
Shaman 175

Agrutha are huge, brutish versions of the normal lizard man. They have the snouts, powerful jaws, thick scales, and lashing tails of their animal ancestors, plus a pair of stubby legs and long, apelike arms. Agrutha ordinarily stand almost 8 feet tall and are hugely muscled. They wear no clothing and carry only what they need for the moment.

Combat: Agrutha prefer to attack by ambush. Like normal alligators on the hunt, they submerge themselves up to their eyes in muddy water and wait for a chance to spring. While doing this they can easily pass for logs or regular alligators to the casual eye. Though usually sluggish, agrutha are capable of short, sudden bursts of speed. Despite their size, they have a good chance of catching anybody by surprise who is not looking out for them. If enraged or unable to ambush, agrutha charge headlong into the midst of their enemies, bellowing the whole time.
Agrutha fight with their massive fists and a crushing bite. If attacked from behind or given enough room, they swing their tails around for 1-10 points of damage. Agrutha occasionally use weapons, preferably crude spears or clubs they made themselves, or else finer weapons taken from past opponents. Agrutha have a natural 18 / 76 Strength, which gives them a +2 attack bonus and a +4 damage bonus to weapon attacks.
A group of seven or more includes a tribal alpha leader with maximum hit points and 18/00 Strength. The leader usually (75% chance) has a w:eapon. If the tribe is large enough to have an alpha, there is a 25% chance that a shaman is in the group. Agrutha shamans are usually 1st or 2nd level and are never higher than 3rd unless they are player characters.

Habitat/Society: Agrutha live in the deepest marshes and swamps. They ordinarily associate in loose tribes, staking out a territory in a small lake, river bed, or similar place. The tribal alpha is the biggest and strongest agrutha in the area. Even if they are a part of a tribe, agrutha tend to hunt singly or in pairs. Females lay eggs once a year in 2-3 egg clusters. They dig a large hole out of the mud in a secluded spot and line it with reeds and branches. The females fiercely protect the eggs and young until they have grown enough to fend for themselves. They stay in the nest, letting the males hunt for them, and they gain a +2 attack and damage bonus while defending the nest.
Because they live in the same areas and have similar outlooks, agrutha are the most likely of all the sub-species to associate with common lizard folk. If the two peoples live close to each other, there is a good possibility the agrutha hunt and protect the territory along side their smaller cousins. Lizard kings and leaders enjoy using them as berserker shock troops.

Ecology: Agrutha eat the meat of whatever animal gets close enough to them while they are hunting, including humans. They will not, however, go out of their way to attack settlements unless they are goaded into doing so by other lizard folk. They typically subsist on deer, fish, bears, and whatever else they can get their jaws on.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Echohawk said:
Click on "Source", select "Dragon #268" from the drop-down filter. Agrutha, Crocodilian, Geckonid, Iguanid and Varanid will show up. (As well as Beliarh and Infernal Avenger, but those are from a different article.)

To the best of my knowledge there are only four D&D creatures I can't post stats for ;).

Ah, they aren't classified as lizardfolk. That explains the problem! Though I should have been able to tell by the names. ;)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Shade said:
Echohawk -- I'm guessing the four you don't have are from that odd UK module (the name escapes me), eh?
Almost, the IffanbutT, Snap Dragon and Shadow Wolves from Up the Garden Path (ST1), plus the Chinese Hill Giants from the Metro Detroit Games version of The Lost Caverns of Tsojconth.

I passed on ST1 the last time I spotted it for sale (with a price tag of more than US$1500), but only because I was in the process of buying a house :cool:.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Echohawk said:
I passed on ST1 the last time I spotted it for sale (with a price tag of more than US$1500), but only because I was in the process of buying a house :cool:.

Wow...that's crazy expensive! I thought $100 was high for a 1e Deities & Demigods with the Cthulhu and Melnibonean bits. :lol:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Shade said:
Wow...that's crazy expensive! I thought $100 was high for a 1e Deities & Demigods with the Cthulhu and Melnibonean bits. :lol:
It is high, I only paid $75 for mine :heh:

Crocodilian

Brute
CLIMATE/TERRAIN River beds
FREQUENCY Very rare
ORGANIZATION Solitary or tribe
ACTIVITY CYCLE Any
DIET Carnivore
INTELLIGENCE Low (5-7)
TREASURE D
ALIGNMENT Neutral

NO. APPEARING 1 or 2-7
ARMOR CLASS 5
MOVEMENT 9, swim 12
HIT DICE 5
THAC0 15
NO. OF ATTACKS 2
DAMAGE/ ATTACK 2-8/1-12 or by weapon
SPECIAL ATTACKS Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE Nil
SIZE L (8' tall)
MORALE Elite (14)
XP VALUE 175

Master
CLIMATE/TERRAIN Temples, cities
FREQUENCY Very rare
ORGANIZATION Solitary or tribe
ACTIVITY CYCLE Any
DIET Carnivore
INTELLIGENCE Very (11-12)
TREASURE K
ALIGNMENT Chaotic evil

NO. APPEARING 1 or 2-7
ARMOR CLASS 5
MOVEMENT 9, swim 12
HIT DICE 3+2
THAC0 17
NO. OF ATTACKS 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK 2-8 or by weapon
SPECIAL ATTACKS Spell casting
SPECIAL DEFENSES Spell casting
MAGIC RESISTANCE Nil
SIZE M (6'-7' tall)
MORALE Elite (14)
XP VALUE 270
High priest 420

Crocodilians are much like agrutha except they are larger and even more ferocious. Full-grown crocodilians can reach up to 15 feet in length from nose to tail tip.

Combat: Crocodilians fight with long jaws and sledgehammer tails. Some use weapons, but these are always taken from or traded with others, as their natural weaponry is formidable. If they wield weapons, they are usually large-two-handed swords, halberds, or battle-axes. A crocodilian with weapon in hand can bite or tail strike in the same round, but not both. Brute crocodilians have Strengths of 18/76-18/00. A few (10%) have Strength 19.

Habitat/Society: Crocodilians are more solitary than their alligator brethren. While agrutha live in groups, crocodilians tend to stay away from each other. If they meet, they are likely to fight for dominance. Crocodilians sometimes build mud-andstraw huts but are just as likely to live in the water with whatever regular crocodiles are in the area. They hunt wherever other crocodiles might be found.
Crocodilians congregate in small tribes if near a large number of crocodiles, the hunting is good, or a strong leader appears. Such crocodilians live in a small hut village, abandoned buildings near the water, or underwater caverns. There is a 50% chance that 1-4 giant crocodiles live near them, too.
Though short-tempered and frightening in battle, they are more likely to talk with humans and demihumans than agrutha are (unless, of course, they are very hungry). While not terribly bright, crocodilians consider themselves the equal of other sentient races and might exchange goods or information. Crocodilians are highly territorial, though, and it is not a good idea to invade their hunting grounds without their consent.

Ecology: Brute crocodilians have little to fear from others. They eat meat and are big enough to take down pretty much any prey they desire. Crocodilian females lay eggs once a year during the wet season.

Master Crocodilians: The masters (as they refer to themselves) are smaller, evil versions of crocodilians. They take malicious glee in killing and eating humans. They fill their days and nights with mirth borne of vile acts, laughing incessantly with guttural chuckles. The masters retain their crocodilian jaws, but their tails are shorter (only 2-3 feet long) and cause no damage. Masters typically fight with weapons and make up for their small size with spellcasting ability. They are all at least 5th-level priests of Set, Anubis, or another evil deity.
Masters typically set themselves up in the sewers or a hidden temple in a large city where they can hatch their loathsome plans. While solitary by nature, they sometimes congregate in small sects. If there are five or more masters together, one of them is a high priest who has been granted 7th-level spellcasting ability and the physical size and combat ability of a brute. Brute crocodilians do not like the masters, but the latter have a knack for manipulating the brutes. Master crocodilians enjoy the company of mummies, jackalweres, and spirit nagas. They often have a pit of normal or giant crocodiles in the depths of their lairs for sacrificing victims.
Master crocodilians are scholars of history, religion, and evil magic. On the other hand, they never learn the spoken languages of warm-blooded sentients. To their ears, human speech is nothing more than the bleating of sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads