Local Game Store Tour

Scribble

First Post
Argh, that's right! Went to a friend's wedding past there last summer, should have remembered the confusion it had become.

-DM Jeff

Yeah when I moved out to SF (January 2007) they were just pretty much started redoing it... Went back just a few weeks ago to visit home, and wow... I haven't been that confused by a non major highway in a very long time...

My wife was like, with are we supposed to do here... I'm like uhhh I'm just going to go on this road, and figure it all out later. Dangerous or not, I miss the circle.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Where's All Things Fun?

How far are willing to drive? A friend has recommended I go to a place in Fairlawn but I just haven't had a chance.

That would be Gamer's Gambit. They're a good store, with lots of place to play (ask about the basement). The shelf stocking seems typical, and I've run across a number of ENWorlders that use it as a home base.

My biggest problem is that I pretty much never have any time to go to any game store, ever, between work and family. So, I can't speak to how well the store is outside of the random times I stop in--which isn't when the games are.

Styracosaurus

Explorer
Strangely, I don't like the gamestores in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Waco has the Game Closet, which I do like. War Machine and Hordes are there in force. People have room to game in the store. It is not pretty store, but it has quality stuff. No comics though,.....

darjr

I crit!
This thread inspired me to take my own tour.

Recently learning that Reveal lives nearby I invited him along. He posted Tony and Dave's FLGS Tour about it.

The Game Shoppe, the first stop. I was looking forward to introducing him to Norm, the proprietor. It turned out I didn't need to, they were old gaming buddies who had fallen out of touch. What a small world. The store is clean and comfortable with a large playing area and a growing selection of RPG's. It's an all around game store, from Euro board games to Warhammer 40k to D&D and BRP. Most of the stores have a similar selection. The staff are bright and friendly and big gaming enthusiasts. I game there a lot. They are hosting a free rpg day event this very weekend. I think thier focus is on wargames and board games, but they are growing into RPG's more and more.

Ground Zero Bellevue is a venerable old game shop. I've probably spent more time gaming in that store than anywhere else. I grew up gaming there, in fact. Years ago they used to be right close to where 'The Game Shoppe' is now and I started gaming at that location in the early 80's. There used to be a balcony in back where the gaming was, now long since cordoned off, what I would do to run a game up there just one more time. The store is full of hidden secrets and gems, as an example, In a nondescript box stuffed high on a shelf is a collection of lead mini's and ancient dice, dice filled in with crayon. A D&D game from way back, just set aside waiting for when those kids, all grown up, come back and finally finish off that dragon. I love that store. You'll never get an unbiased opinion about it from me. I game there a bunch too.

Ground Zero Omaha the Bellevue store's sister store, was next. Right under a tatoo parlor and a pizza joint. Is there anything more cliche? It's a great store run by huge rpg enthusiasts with a large gaming area. It caters to regular gamers, right down to the lockers on the back wall. Don't worry though, they are very inviting to new folks. They are hosting free rpg day and a local con's game day this Saturday. I game there when I can.

Dragons Lair Omaha is one of the oldest stores in Omaha. It really shows in the deep collection of rpgs available. They really have quite a lot, stuff I thought I'd never see in a store. I sometimes wonder how they can do it. The gaming area seems to be always busy, even if a bit small. It's distance from where I lived as a kid meant it was always a kind of myth to me. A far off place of treasure that I would plunder, some day. It's been at it's current location, I think, since it opened in 1975.

Next was Krypton Comics. They moved and I lost track of them. Reveal showed me where they were. To me they were always a comic shop with games a distant second, no RPG's. So I was shocked to discover a shelf of RPGS. Mostly D&D with one or two exceptions, still, it's a start, and it counts. I think they might be hosting free rpg day, you should check before going. They did have a very small gaming area, there were gamers there rolling dice, Mechwarrior clix I think.

Dragons Lair Millard followed. It's like a modern, shiny new version of it's parent store. A little smaller, with a smaller collection of RPG's, and a game area that somehow seems bigger. The employees seem to work both stores, and I sometimes wonder if there isn't some secret portal in back between the two.

And last, but not least is Coliseum Gaming. It's a neat little place with a gaming area covering over half the store. They have a bit of everything, from card games, to board games, to rpgs, to mini games. I seem to run into somebody else I know that works there every time I go in. Folks I had no idea worked there. I'm still mulling over that one. Will I walk in one time and find myself behind the counter?

There are two other stores that we didn't visit. Capes in Benson and Bit Kingdom in Ralston. We couldn't find Bit Kingdom, though I have since, and we didn't really have time to go to Capes. There are also a few other stores that have recently closed doors. Ten Penny in Bellvue, Anarchy comics in the old market, and Phantac off of 108th and Q. Unfortunately I never ever visited Anarchy comics.

Attachments

• Omaha Game Stores 015.jpg
    Omaha Game Stores 015.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Omaha Game Stores 004.jpg
    Omaha Game Stores 004.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Omaha Game Stores 012.jpg
    Omaha Game Stores 012.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 149

grodog

Hero
Thanks for the pointers, Jeff---I'll be back in South NJ again over Labor Day, and will have to check out All Things Fun (which I hadn't heard about before).

When I still lived in CA (2000-2005), Gamescape in Palo Alto was the best place to go for games, but they closed down before I left. When I'm back in SJC there for work, I usually stop by Game Kastle and the various used bookstores to look for stuff (both Recylce Books and Bookbuyers carry RPG books and have good F/SF sections too).

grodog

Hero
Strangely, I don't like the gamestores in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Waco has the Game Closet, which I do like. War Machine and Hordes are there in force. People have room to game in the store. It is not pretty store, but it has quality stuff. No comics though,.....

I heard that Generation X was pretty good, but I didn't get a chance to visit when I was in town two weeks ago for the North TX RPG Con in Bedford.

Tortoise

First Post
As I'm moving to Towson, MD in August, I'm really hard up for any game store recommendations. Please, please post if you know any good ones!

The game store I used to visit in the Towson/Cockey'sville area is
72 Cranbrook Rd
Cockeysville, MD 21030-3425
(410) 666-3290

The store is clean, well organized, and willing to order anything they don't have in stock, just ask for it. They will look it up and order it.

They also occasionally host events in the store where everyone can watch and/or participate.

Someone else in the thread mentioned Legends in Towson.

I've moved out to Frederick, Maryland and game stores are sparse out here. There's Brainstorm Comics who will also order on request, and will give a discount of 10 to 15 % normally.

I stopped by Beyond Comics Wednesday evening on my way home from work and while I'm totally blown away at their comic and collectibles displays and how amazing the store looks, their game selection is pitiful. Basically a tiny display of some 4e books (not even most of them) and some ccg cards and dice.

I'm planning to go visit Mystikal Keep??? in Hagerstown on Free RPG Day, but have no idea what they're like yet.

HandofMystra

First Post
What about Philly game stores?
Redcap's corner (a blessed 10 minute walk to my home) is listed as 41 minutes away from Mt Holly. This is a new store with play space, a big Magic scene and located inside a comic store. Also the owners are cool. A great location, right next to the University of Pennsylvania so there are a lot of food options in walking distance. We are just starting to get D&D going there. We have an RPGA game once a month and a couple of home games. My 13 year-old son has started a 40K scene there (he should get money for how much business he has generated for GW)
Allied Hobby is listed as 35 minutes from Mt Holly. It is a hobby store that has RPGs. There is a active RPGA action there.

Remove ads