Local Game Store Tour

Herschel

Adventurer
Wow, I almost forget how blessed I am here in the Twin Cities metro. I used to be across the street from the biggest store (The Source Comics & Games in Falcon Heights) but also have Monster Den (South Minneapolis), Dreamers (St. Louis Park), Misty Mountain Games North (Burnsville, original store in Madison, WI), Village Games (Anoka) & Unicorn Games (Maplewood). Phoenix Games (South Minneapolis & Burnsville) and Red Dragon Games (Apple Valley) closed in past years for various reasons (Phoenix went online-only).

There is also CedarCliff Collectibles (Eagan) for single miniatures and older RPG stuff.

catsclaw227

First Post
Our FLGS, All Fun N' Games, here in Cary/Apex NC is really awesome. They just expanded the game room, have RPG stuff for 4e, from Paizo and Goodman, have some older 3e stock (admittedly not much) and they have lots of gaming going on. I've been there on a typical open RPG night and seen 4-6 tables going on at once. They also have LFR games like twice a week. :)

Really great store. I haven't had a good FLGS in a long time and I am glad I moved near one.

Xer0

First Post
How's Legends Comics and Games in Towson? I'm about to move and I think that's the closest gaming store -- there's a comics store in a stripmall that's closer, but it's light on non-4e stuff.

Thanlis, where are you moving to? It might be a bit of a hike for you, but Renaissance Games in Fallston is a great store that I frequently visit and buy from. Hell, I'm running a game there right now. Same goes for you Poetic Justice. Fallston might be a bit of a hike if you don't have transportation, but with a car, you'd be golden.

I've only been in Legends once, but it really didn't impress me, I don't recall them having a massive amount of RPG stuff and it was really dark. But this was a couple of years back and may have changed by now, so YMMV.

Scribble

First Post
I grew up in Jersey. In the town right next to the one All Things Fun is in. The store sprang up just a few years ago, when I was living in Philly, but I still shopped there a lot. The owners are really cool people, and the store has a nice atmosphere.

Theres another comic shop right down the street called Stormwatch. It has (had?) gaming stuff but not a ton. The owner of that place was a really cool guy too... Apparently he and the ATF owners were friends... which always amused me. How do you open a competing store a block away from your friend's store and still remain friends? :p

I used to shop at Gamer's realm back when they had a second store in Pennsauken. Classic "dingy" gamestore. :p But it did have a huge selection.

aboyd

Explorer
I live near Game Kastle in San Jose, California. It's pretty good. You can see from their home page that they are running games constantly -- the session I DM'd last week was photographed and put on their home page... although they filed it under D&D 4th edition when I was actually running a 3.5 session. But anyway, their collection of games is varied, and their book collection is pretty good. They still have a shelf of D&D 3.5 edition books, with some Swords & Sorcery d20 stuff and lots of Gygax books (Book of Names, and maybe 10 others). They stock battle mats, board games like Apples to Apples, tons of minis including a bin of D&D minis that they broke out of the booster packs and sell individually, and a couple of cardboard boxes filled with modules. I haven't known many game stores to sell boatloads of modules -- it seems like they sell core books and a token few modules. However, these guys have modules from obscure 3rd parties, including a few that look like they were mimeographed. I kinda want to just walk in the door and shout, "$200 for the whole damn box!" and see if I can take 'em all.

Scribble

First Post
I live near Game Kastle in San Jose, California. It's pretty good. You can see from their home page that they are running games constantly -- the session I DM'd last week was photographed and put on their home page... although they filed it under D&D 4th edition when I was actually running a 3.5 session. But anyway, their collection of games is varied, and their book collection is pretty good. They still have a shelf of D&D 3.5 edition books, with some Swords & Sorcery d20 stuff and lots of Gygax books (Book of Names, and maybe 10 others). They stock battle mats, board games like Apples to Apples, tons of minis including a bin of D&D minis that they broke out of the booster packs and sell individually, and a couple of cardboard boxes filled with modules. I haven't known many game stores to sell boatloads of modules -- it seems like they sell core books and a token few modules. However, these guys have modules from obscure 3rd parties, including a few that look like they were mimeographed. I kinda want to just walk in the door and shout, "$200 for the whole damn box!" and see if I can take 'em all.

I saw that place while headed to the airport a few weeks back. On the way home, my wife saw my interest and said we should stop, since we won't be down in san jose anytime soon again... I was too tired from the plane ride / 5 hour suckfest in the airport to stop though, so I just kept driving home.

Thanlis

Explorer
Thanlis, where are you moving to? It might be a bit of a hike for you, but Renaissance Games in Fallston is a great store that I frequently visit and buy from. Hell, I'm running a game there right now. Same goes for you Poetic Justice. Fallston might be a bit of a hike if you don't have transportation, but with a car, you'd be golden.

I'm gonna be in Cockeysville, so right up the road from Towson. But Fallston doesn't look like much of a trek.

Remove ads