Lone Wolf II: The Lakuri Gambit (MS 5022)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
The Durenese "merchant" Davias leads you to the Ragadorn dockyards. "Watch yourselves," he says. "These docks can be dangerous, and I wouldn't want to see you fall prey to a simple cutpurse." The salt air -- reeking with the stench of nameless run-offs from the city -- blows into your faces as you survey the ships tied at their moorings.

"There's one," Davias says, pointing towards a distinctive red-sailed trading vessel. "A Lakuri. Now for us to find out where this pirate captain is holed up."

Everyone:
[sblock]Gather Information checks, and any others you wish to make.[/sblock]

Paido

First Post
"Ye can leave that to me, me hearties", Jesabela grins. "Most likely that scallawag's boozing and wenching in one of the taverns. And if I know me sailors and roustabouts, they have sussed out all about that ship and her crew mere moments after she moored ..."

Turning away from the group, she bumps into Moon's Brand, then saunters off along the docks.

Relenoir (and Andrew, of course):
[sblock]When they bump together, Moon's Brand feels how something is slid under her padded armour. It feels suspiciously like a rolled-up parchment or something ... ;)[/sblock]

Jesabela looks for small groups of longshoremen or sailors to join for a chat. After some talking, laughing and sharing news, she'll ask around for any ships where a seafaring lass could charter. She'll especially ask about a few interestingly looking ships moored in Ragadorn ... the red-sailed trading ship amonst them. A few subtle proddings later she should hopefully know where to find the Lakuri captain (and several other captains as well) ... ;)

Andrew:
[sblock]A roll on Gather Information resulted in 19 (rolled a 13).

And as Jesabela would prefer to spot some "old mateys" before they spot her, she keeps a wary eye open. (That would call for a Perception roll, I assume? If that's the case, have a 21. :))[/sblock]

Krug

Newshound
Rolled a 2
Hoagar was never good at subtly getting information out. He always thought harsher methods, such as torture, were better...

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
In your quest for the Lakuri pirates here in town, you make your way into a dockside drinking-house called the Barnacle Tavern. The patrons are sailors of all races and creeds -- among them you notice Sommlending, rough Kirlundins, Vassagonians, and Durenese, as well as a few men from Dessi and the more civilized Ice Barbarians of Ljuk. The drunkards leer alarmingly at Moon's Brand and Jesabela when they enter, but seeing Moon's Brand's Kai cloak and companions, they soon look away.

Jesabela asks some questions while the others take a seat near one of the grimy windows.

Jesabela:
[sblock]Sitting at a table against the wall, tossing dice and shouting, are several Lakuri pirates. One of them is a man you recognize only as 'Skimmer', who was onboard the Maddened Elix at the same time as you.[/sblock]

Relenoir

First Post
Have no Gather Information ranks, but rolled a 15 +1 for my CHA
"Easy my friend," Moon's Brand says in a lighthearted voice as Jesabela stumbles into her. "In your desire to fit in with the locals, I wouldn't want to see you walking into anything firmer than I am, such as the corner of a building!"

Paido and Andrew: "Nice move," she whispers as Jesabela passes the scroll to her.

At the Barnacle Tavern, remembering her previous search for Davias, Moon's Brand will let Jesabela do her thing; This is her element, after all, she thinks to herself. Upon entering the establishment and getting the table, she will attune her Sixth Sense Discipline to the room's inhabitants, using her new mastery of Sudden Foresight interchangeably with Dangerous Whispers. She doesn't expect to be surprised by discoveries of nearby hidden weapons, but anyone or anything hiding from sight she would be glad to know about, especially if one is a Helghast.

Krug and Andrew: If Moon's Brand notices anything amiss, she will immediately tell Krug, who is sitting with her at the table, and say it in Drodarin.

BTW, I decided to take Weaponskill I, and will be applying the +1 bonus to Sword. In case I have to fight hand-to-hand again soon, I need all the help I can get with my STR of only 10! Also, 2 questions: when taking a ranged weapon for Weaponskill, do you have the choice between 50% range increase or +2 damage, or is it the range increase only? Second question: do the 2 meals worth of larnuma fruits I have give any healing benefits when eaten? Just curious for later, thanks!

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Jesabela:
[sblock]No, the ship is not the Elix. It's just a familiar sailor.[/sblock]

Moon's Brand:
[sblock]Yes, the Larnuma will heal 1d4 per Meal.[/sblock]

Relenoir

First Post
Just thought of something: Glad I asked if it were okay to be a Kai Lord when I joined even though there were already two; they both left!
Moon's Brand is cautious to remain alert, and sober for that matter, as things unfold. She may eat, if the food looks somewhat appetizing.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Hoagar eats with all the gusto of, well, a dwarf, while Moon's Brand gingerly samples the fare the tavern offers. After a few moments, Jesabela strides back over to the table with a scarred mountain of a man in tow.

"This is Skimmer," she says, introducing the man, who is very well-mannered for a pirate.

"Greetings," says Skimmer, bowing slightly. He takes a seat, nevermind that no-one offered it to him, and places his hand on his chin. "Bo'sun onboard the Scarlet Lady," he boasts, "I believe you've seen her already. So you want to make a trip through the Rymerift, I'm told. Well, I can't be speakin' for the cap'n, but I and the other officers'd be up for it. Of course, we'd need to be gettin' the cap'n's say-so." He grins to himself. "And that's where the trick comes in. The cap'n is, ahh, indisposed at the moment, courtesy of Overlord Torrost. I told 'im 'e was a burned fool, comin' into a port where there's a price on your head."

Remove ads