long long post about my system of choice problem...

what should i do (read the first post!!)?

• keep OD&D and modify that

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • keep D&D 3.x and modify that

Votes: 46 60.5%
  • keep hackmaster and modify that

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • i can't help to tell you my brilliant plan in the thread

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • even if it wasn't listed, castles & crusades IS the best option

Votes: 13 17.1%

diaglo

Adventurer
Aus_Snow said:
Isn't that the D&D Rules Cyclopedia?

I thought that OD&D was basically '1st edition D&D', with the books that went into the RC being '2nd edition D&D', so to speak.

Is that right. . . Diaglo? All other grognards, who are only a pale imitation? ;)

OD&D(1974) brown boxed set. later white Original Collector's edition set.

2edD&D Holmes
3edD&D Holmes
4edD&D Moldvay
5edD&D Mentzer (RC is based on this version)

then you have ADnD... 1edADnD and 2edADnD.. but also 1edADnD had the UA days. and 2edADnD had the Skills, powers, etc... days

and then you have the d02 version.

Gnome

First Post
IMO, d20 is a great rules framework, and very easy to customize. Making your own versions of the core classes, and your own feat trees sounds like a blast to me.

Spell

First Post
radferth said:
Be warned, the Atlantean edition is corrected, but if you get the original edition on Ebay or used somewhere, the editing and typos are atrocious.

i've heard that before... is there actually a way to tell between the two editions immediately (apart from the typo and some obscure small print somewhere in the book?)

scadgrad

First Post
Spell said:
i've heard that before... is there actually a way to tell between the two editions immediately (apart from the typo and some obscure small print somewhere in the book?)

I bought the original version, warts and all, and I'm fine with it. Honestly, I think most of the complaints that gamers have about editing in 99% of the gaming products out there is just a tempest in a teacup. While I haven't ran the Conan rpg yet I certainly don't feel compelled to buy "the Atlantean edition" in order to do so. It's a good system, but you'll spend many a long hour converting 1st edition and basic D&D modules if you want to use them for that system. I believe the Atlantean Edition is indicated as such at the bottom of the cover.

Here's the Atlantean Edition:

http://frpgames.irook.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13279

and here's the original:

http://frpgames.irook.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=7581

C&C or RC D&D is still your best option though, or at least from what I've inferred from your comments in this thread.

Spell

First Post
scadgrad said:
thanks!

scadgrad said:
C&C or RC D&D is still your best option though, or at least from what I've inferred from your comments in this thread.
i think so, too. i think i might end up buying the PDF of the RC, and edit it a bit with hackmaster and C&C and maybe even slavage worlds... it really depends on my time after the lectures start!

Remove ads