• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Longstaff

King Nate

First Post
Thanks to everyone with their help on the boomerang. With the boomerang finally finished I thought I would try another weapon. Thanks for any help on this one as well.

Superior Melee Double-Weapon

Longstaff
Prof.: +2
Damage: 1d6/1d6
Range: --
Price: 15gp
Weight: 6lbs.
Group: Staff
Properties: Defensive, off-hand

As its name implies the longstaff is a longer version of the quarterstaff. The extra length makes the weapon much more difficult to use but those skilled in its use are better able to protect themselves from multiple attackers when fighting cautiously.

If you are proficient with the longstaff and are employing the total defense combat maneuver you cannot be flanked for the rest of the round.

Characters proficient with the longstaff can consider it a quarterstaff for the purpose of feats or powers.

jlhorner1974

First Post
As originally presented, +2 prof. and d6/d6 damage, with no properties other than the standard Double ones (Defensive and OffHand), it seems kind of weak for a superior double 2H weapon. It's much weaker than any of the four double weapons in Adventurer's Vault (see the Double sword for closest comparison). Even if you bump the damage up to d8/d8 (which I think you should), it still comes out weaker than its breathren.

I'm not sure what your could do to beef it up.

Making it +2 d8/d8 Defensive OffHand with HighCrit or Brutal 1 would not be much different mechanics-wise from the Double sword (the average damage bonus of HighCrit or Brutal1 is probably pretty close to an extra +1 proficiency bonus).

Giving it Reach and the Polearm type is a cool and interesting idea too -- getting two attacks per round at reach (Tempest fighter or ranger) might be just a bit much, but probably not. A Ranger can already get a Greatbow and do two attacks at 1d12 each from range (or step close and use a freakin' Craghammer in each hand). With Reach not in effect most of the time when it's not your turn anymore, it isn't really that ridiculous.

If that's too much for you, what if you give the weapon a property that lets the wielder switch from a double weapon to a 2H weapon as a minor action? In double mode, it gets OffHand and Defensive, but in 2H mode it loses those and gains the Polearm type and Reach. It's a little complex, but a nice little bit of flexibility.

Last edited:

As written, I vote military. There are no staff feats, and the +1 to AC from defensive isn't really that interesting to characters with military prof., who either have shield prof. or don't want a 1d6 weapon (rangers).

Remove ads