• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for 3.5 rules add on, for hit locations and critical damage

Bishop Odo

Explorer

Is there an optional rules set for 3.5 that creates a combat system that uses hit locations and critical hit locations. I’m looking for something similar to WFRPG which is fairly simple as compared to Rolemaster which can be a little unwieldy.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Give Torn_Asunder a try. It might have what you're looking for. I don't actually have it myself yet, so I can't give you specifics about it. But it is on my wishlist. (I will have it ... oh yes ... It will be mine.:devil::blush:)

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
Give Torn_Asunder a try. It might have what you're looking for. I don't actually have it myself yet, so I can't give you specifics about it. But it is on my wishlist. (I will have it ... oh yes ... It will be mine.:devil::blush:)

El Mahdi beat me to it (and like him it is on my wishlist). And, while not, a critical hit system, you might also want to take a look at the Book of Iron Might from Malhavoc which is a called shot/maneuver system handled mechaniclally more like some of the 2e options rather than the approach in ToB or 4e (Plus, it gives you a full system for maneuvr building).

Voadam

Legend
Torn Asunder is designed to be an add on for 3.5. I have it, I like it, it seems to fit your desire.

It works by using the normal crit system but adding effects if your die roll beats the necessary crit number (I think it is the confirmation hit number) by 5, 10, or 15. If your roll is sufficiently high for the extra crit effects you roll on a chart based on the target's body type (humanoid, quadruped, draconic, multilimbe, etc., usually a d8 or d12) look up the body section, and it will list three levels of effect for the amount you beat the roll by and the type of damage (bludgeon, slashing, piercing) and gives you a straightforward effect to apply.

More straightforward than rolemaster, a touch more gradation than WFRP.

There is also Paizo's critical hit deck, which doesn't give a body chart but has specific wound areas in the random results, with just the variability being in the damage types and the individual entries, so severe head blow is a card with differences for blunt trauma versus cutting versus spell I believe.

Galloglaich

First Post
No hit locations, but the Codex has a very different type of Critical Hit system you might like which also lets you go around armor and etc.. If you want a look at it PM I'll send you a comp copy.

G.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Yeah, I forgot about Codex Martialis (sorry Galloglaich:blush:). While it doesn't specifically have a Critical Hits system like you were looking for, it does have some incredible stuff in it. I do have the Codex (I don't have Torn Asunder - Yet;)). It's just chock full of ideas. It's very modular and adaptable, so you can just use the parts you want, and even tweak them quite easily to your own preferences. Even if you don't get it for a Critical Hits system, I'd highly recomend it. (The Martial Pool concept itself in the Codex is worth the price of the book.)

Last edited:

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
I like Paizo's Critical Hit Deck myself. It doesn't have a body hit location chart for normal hits, but many of the critical effects do specify certain areas of the body and have corresponding penalties for them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads