Looking for a fantasy TRPG for children

Greenmtn

Explorer
Oh I didn't take it as sarcastic. My comment was more color commentary and my own surprise. I was expecting a straight forward crawl full of killing and looting (after all that's what I would get from most adult new players) and most definitely am not seeing that at this point and they are a little over 1/2 way through the first layer.

CydKnight

Explorer
Any ideas?

Specifically looking for a fantasy game, for 12 yo, no prior experience with TRPG and very little video game experience whatsoever.

My FLGS has nothing. I spotted Fantasy AGE, though, which seems kind of interesting.
I am currently running a campaign that includes three players ages 11 to 13 that began with the Lost Mine of Phandelver from the D&D 5th Edition Starter Set. Once they finished it we continued in the same setting with material I obtained mostly free from the DM's Guild. They are now all Level 6 and seem to become more and more confident with each game session.

Rolenet

Explorer
Thanks guys, very interesting input. It tells me that something of 5e-complexity level can be tackled, but also I need to know their preferences more (they are nephews that live overseas so I don't know them well enough). I will try an open approach.

I'm running a 5e game for my 9 and 12 year olds, Sunless Citadel. They are loving it.
Do they have video game RPG or adventure boardgame experience? Was it long for them to pick up on the rules?

Greenmtn

Explorer
Thanks guys, very interesting input. It tells me that something of 5e-complexity level can be tackled, but also I need to know their preferences more (they are nephews that live overseas so I don't know them well enough). I will try an open approach.

Do they have video game RPG or adventure boardgame experience? Was it long for them to pick up on the rules?

We played Munchkin and Heroquest a bit but thats basically it. They picked up the basics really quick, They are still feeling spells out a bit and figuring out what to cast when. I don't think they are picking it up any slower than some adults do. Especially since we only play once every couple weeks.

darjr

I crit!
I ran Faery's Tale for my young kids. They are all much older now and run and play D&D and Pathfinder and other games.

Faery's Tale is a simple rule set that leads to spontaneous fun play.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/29572/Faerys-Tale-Deluxe?affiliate_id=182934

Note that's my affiliate link above.

My daughter wanted to play a faerie dragon instead of anything else on offer. It was pretty easy to come up with simple rules for her and reskin a bit of other things. Memorable parts are the dance off at the princes ball against the three ugly sisters and chasing down the pupkin chariot the wich rode to the bean stalk. And my daughter overcoming her very real fear of the giant to face him down and do battle.

I need to get that game back out.

aramis erak

Legend
Any ideas?

Specifically looking for a fantasy game, for 12 yo, no prior experience with TRPG and very little video game experience whatsoever.

My FLGS has nothing. I spotted Fantasy AGE, though, which seems kind of interesting.

Well, the recently released My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria is a viable option... if the kid's a fan of the series. If not, well... it's readily adaptable rules light.

The Star Wars games are actually far easier than one might think, to look at the monstrous ≥300pp rulebooks... space fantasy, but fantasy none the less.

But, as Celebrim notes, most 12yo can play in an adult or older teen run game just fine.

S'mon

Legend
Any ideas?

Hm. The Lone Wolf Adventure Game looks good if you want high-roleplay & a rather subdued tone (moreso than the books ). But my main recommendation is the awesome Pathfinder Beginner Box.

Remove ads