Looking for a Fighter Wizard build

Patlin

Explorer
Eldragon said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Arcane Strike was a swift action as well. Since Arcane Strike was written before Swift Actions were in the rules, so when Swift Actions were created the Arcane Strike feat became a swift action instead of a free action?

Absent language such as "you cannot use Arcane Strike in a round in which you also cast a quicken spell" I'd have to disagree. Arcane Strike, much like Smite Evil, was and is a free action. You can use both of them together, as well as any swift action you might have available.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Energy substituted scorching ray+quickened scorching ray:
Average damage=14+14+14 (42) x2 to a single target. In an optimal situation, that's 84 damage. Subject to spell resistance and energy resistance (six times).

The base, no power attack whirling blade plus quickened whirling blade is about 36 points of damage (including wounding, and holy as against a 16 HD enemy). So, 72 points of damage to every enemy in a line subject to neither spell resistance nor energy resistance. That sounds pretty obviously better to me and it's only scratching the surface.

With arcane strike and fires of purity (yes, it is only a melee attack, but whirling blade lets you make a melee attack against every enemy in the line and specifies that your feats and abilities that apply to melee attacks apply), the damage blows the scorching ray+quickened scorching ray damage out of the water.

Darklone said:
Hmm. I still fail to see how that's so much better than E-subbed Scorching Rays plus quickened ones considering the feat cost and Arcane Strike cost.

And wraithstrike: nononononono.

Jhaelen

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
Luck must be with me, because you can do several free actions per round.
umm, not exactly. It's for the DM to decide how many free actions you can take in a given round AND what kind of free actions.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The base, no power attack whirling blade plus quickened whirling blade is about 36 points of damage (including wounding, and holy as against a 16 HD enemy).

Not to quibble- I obviously love the Whirling Blade spell & combos from it- but since the spell's damage depends on what weapon you're using, how are you getting 36pts of base damage doubled by quickening to 72? What weapon are you using to get an average hit of 36? (I'm just trying to get a grasp on your assumptions.)

Also, I don't recognize "fires of purity"- where is that one?

Vysirez

First Post
I want to second Eldragon, I think the swiftblade PRC on Wizards.com is a really nice fighter/mage PRC. Gives up a fair amount of casting but gets some really nice benefits. There is a pretty nice thread on the CharOp forums at WOTC, Swiftblade Handbook. There is a link the the PRC in the first post in the handbook.

If you don't want to go with that, Abjurant Champion should definitely go in most any build at some point. Then the rest of the build depends on what you want. Fighter1/Wizard6/Spellsword1/Ab Champ5/EK7 isnt bad. Or Pal2/Sorc6/AbChamp 4/Sacred Excorsist8 is also a nice build. You loose a bit more BAB, but get pretty nice casting and also get turn undead to combine with your high Cha and some divine feats, primarily divine might.

Darklone

Elder-Basilisk said:
With arcane strike and fires of purity (yes, it is only a melee attack, but whirling blade lets you make a melee attack against every enemy in the line and specifies that your feats and abilities that apply to melee attacks apply), the damage blows the scorching ray+quickened scorching ray damage out of the water.
The bad news: It doesn't help my run of the mills bard with his one-handed weapon.

Eldragon

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Not to quibble- I obviously love the Whirling Blade spell & combos from it- but since the spell's damage depends on what weapon you're using, how are you getting 36pts of base damage doubled by quickening to 72? What weapon are you using to get an average hit of 36? (I'm just trying to get a grasp on your assumptions.)

Also, I don't recognize "fires of purity"- where is that one?

Fires of Purity is in the Spell Compendium. I don't know where it appeared originally. It does +1 Damage/Caster Level to melee attacks. Personally I wouldnt allow it to be used with Whirling Blade, but we have no problem with Wraithstrike in our games, so its all up to you.

Here is how my current Character, Coldyn "Twitchy" Swiftblade does for damage with Whirling blade. Certainly not the most optimal use (Kensai would be better) but it gives you a good idea (Taking the average for all die rolls):

Wraithstrike + Power Attack + Whirling Blade
1d10 + 2 + 1d6: Flaming Katana +2
+7 Strength (2 Handed Weapon) (16 Base, +4 From Bulls Strength)
+8 Power Attack
=
26 Damage. Not too shabby for a level 7.

Here is the same character at level 14:

Arcane Strike + Wraithstrike + Power Attack + Whirling Blade
1d10 + 3 + 1d6 Flaming Katana +3
+9 Str. 2 Handed Weapon (16 Base, +6 Belt of Giant's Str)
+22 Power Attack
5d4 Arcane Strike (5th Level spell, Highest the character has)
=
53 Damage. Scaled quite well IMHO. For 2x the Level, I got 2x the damage.

Without Wraithstrike, the spell stops being quite as powerful.

Remove ads