• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a good 3 spell combo for Chain Continency

HEL Pit Fiend

First Post
We are creating an epic campaign and I will be playing (instead of GMing like I usually do) a 21st level Wizard. I would like ideas (the more creative the better) on spell combos for Chain Contingency. Note that no player will know what the adventure will be about before we play, so very situation specific spell combos may not be a good idea.

Also here are a few general questions:
1) Can the "trigger" for a Chain Contingency Spell be a mere thought, allowing for the 3 spells to be cast as a free action?
2) Would you allow both Contingency AND Chain Contingency to be active at the same time?
3) Would you allow the wording of a Contingency Spell to allow intangible game terms such as: "teleport me home when my hit points fall below 5"? If you would allow it, then let's say evil cleric whacks you with a Harm spell and then follows with a quickened cause wounds spell. Would you:
a) teleport home, with 1 to 4 hp, before the quickened cause wounds?
b) teleport home, possibly killed, after the quickened cause wounds attack?

DarkJester

First Post
I plan on using this for my wizards chain contingency:

If I fall below 10 HP (He has quite a few hp so this is a nice cushion) activatve the following spells:plane shift (Just in case), Teleport Without Error (Local church with acsess to major healing of your choice), feign death (Stops nasty after effects from occuring, like poison damage and such).

Pax

Banned
Banned
Tenser's Transformation, preferably MAXIMISED (PHB)
FiendForm (MoF)
FireShield (PHB)

Go absolute APESH*T with the above; the Fire Shield I suppose could be subbed out for somethign else (Thunderlance, from MoF / FRCS, comes to mind).

Xarlen

First Post
I thought "When I say 'Lock and Load', cast Haste, Improved Invisibility, and Shield on me." Or fly, Fire Shield, so on.

Pax

Banned
Banned
HEL Pit Fiend said:
We are creating an epic campaign and I will be playing (instead of GMing like I usually do) a 21st level Wizard. I would like ideas (the more creative the better) on spell combos for Chain Contingency. Note that no player will know what the adventure will be about before we play, so very situation specific spell combos may not be a good idea.

Also here are a few general questions:
1) Can the "trigger" for a Chain Contingency Spell be a mere thought, allowing for the 3 spells to be cast as a free action?

No, but you could designate a twig, or class rod, the breaking of which triggers the spell (a free action to grab-and-snap).

2) Would you allow both Contingency AND Chain Contingency to be active at the same time?

Sure, why not?

3) Would you allow the wording of a Contingency Spell to allow intangible game terms such as: "teleport me home when my hit points fall below 5"? If you would allow it, then let's say evil cleric whacks you with a Harm spell and then follows with a quickened cause wounds spell. Would you:
a) teleport home, with 1 to 4 hp, before the quickened cause wounds?
b) teleport home, possibly killed, after the quickened cause wounds attack?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, and I would give the Cleric the chance to make, say, a Reflex save to get the quickened spell off before you teleported away. That woudl determine if you had 1d4hp remaining, or had been pushed negative.

OFC, you'd get saving throws against both spells, regardless.

James McMurray

First Post
Yeah, you could make the trigger a thought. You could also make it a spoken word, wich is also a free action, nd less likely to happen on accident (as long as the word is not a common one).

As for what would happen with the Harm, you would teleport out before the cleric could hit you with a quickened anything. Contingency takes effect the moment your trigger occurs, anything someone wants to do after that would, by definition, come after the trigger.

I personally like the idea of "When I'm killed" do a Raise dead, followed by a heal, followed by buffing spell X (triple extended blink is nice, as is triplle extended haste). The Raise Dead and Heal would require you to have 2 rings of spell storing to use though.

Pax

Banned
Banned
James McMurray said:
I personally like the idea of "When I'm killed" do a Raise dead, followed by a heal, followed by buffing spell X (triple extended blink is nice, as is triplle extended haste). The Raise Dead and Heal would require you to have 2 rings of spell storing to use though.

Or some levels of Loremaster, and thus, the skill Use Magic Device ... a scroll with both the requisite spells ... and some luck with dice. :D

Though, why go Raise Dead, instead of True Resurrection? True Res would be far superior, IMO ...

Xarlen

First Post
Well, if you're afraid of Harm, you could always put in Kiss of the Vampire, from Magic of Faerun. It makes Inflict spells Heal you, amid other things. :)

I don't think a thought would suffice, but any other specific trigger should do. I also don't think the two spells should stack, like Magic Weapon and GMW don't stack. I can't honstly say I know a rule to back up either, it just seems the way to go.

One nasty would be for a melee caster type. Have the Chain Contingency bring in a True Strike or Vamperic Touch at the begining of the round for three rounds.

A good one for Contingency is any upkeep spells. If you are facing a red dragon, the trigger could be to cast Protection from Elements as soon as your current one wears off.

Remove ads