• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a good campaign organizer

herrozerro

First Post
If your looking for something system agnostic and more of an outliner. Treepad or myinfo are great. Treepad lite is free but myinfo has somegreat features as well.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
I've only scratched the surface of what Masterplan can do, but it's fulfilled all my needs and then some. I mainly use the Encyclopedia feature to keep my world, locations, and cast of characters straight. Secondly, I like the plot point builder, which includes combat encounters and skill challenges etc. I like to add all my monsters into there (you can export the DDI monster files for a really quick and easy dump) and keep them all on hand for each encounter.

For those saying Masterplan is great for tracking conditions, I'd love to hear more about that. It's a feature I've yet to discover, and one I could probably use.

Trit

two_fishes

Explorer
Thanks for all the responses! This has solidified my decision to go with Masterplan, but I will be taking a look around the EnWorld Campaign Manager.

Obryn

Hero
For those saying Masterplan is great for tracking conditions, I'd love to hear more about that. It's a feature I've yet to discover, and one I could probably use.
Sure!

OK, when you're running a combat, there's a few things you need to do to make it work well. First, get the newest version you can.

(1) Import the PCs into Masterplan. It takes .dnd4e files, or you can just put in their name and some details. You don't need to worry; your players will still roll their initiative. But before each combat, you'll get a dialog asking you to input them.

(2) When in a combat, they will show up along with the monsters on the tracker. Use the Next Turn button when appropriate. It could track their HPs and conditions, but I can't imagine your players want that. One awesome thing it does though is let you roll attacks directly vs. a PC by clicking on their name in the attack dialog.

(3) When a monster gets ongoing damage or a condition, right-click and pick Apply Condition. Pick what's going on, and whichever of the 5 duration options is right. (Start/End of Player's/Monster's next turn, or save ends; you can add penalties.) You can pick which player applied it, and if it's a power they use a lot you can add it to a quick pick-list for future use.

From there, it will automatically remove the condition when appropriate, apply ongoing damage, and roll saving throws!

The things it does not do:
(1) It doesn't (as far as I know) stack save-ends conditions. Like you can't add Dazed and Slowed (save ends both). Pick one as Save Ends and apply a "standard condition" without a duration. You need to remember to remove it yourself when the save succeeds.

(2) For some reason, it can't take attack penalties. At least not that I've found.

Hope that helps!

-O

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
I am starting a new 4th Edition campaign. What campaign organizers do people here prefer and why? A friend of mine has used Masterplan, and seems to like it pretty well, so that is my initial impulse.
I use and subscribe to Obsidian Portal. I use it mainly to post descriptions of and track adventures (and there is even a section for "GM only" information) for me and the players. There are also pages for important NPCs, locations and house rules. OP is able to link all of them together, which I find very useful.

OP is much better than what I used before: emails and a Yahoo group where I would post important documents. Players didn't seem to like that format.

OP doesn't have the functionality of Masterplan (where you could build encounters and run an adventure). I don't look to OP for that, however. I use DDI and cut and paste stat blocks into my adventures in Microsoft Word and so far, that's worked well for me.

Remove ads