• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a good CRPG.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Staffan said:
It's about as old as the Baldur's Gates, so I don't think it qualifies as "lately", but try hunting down Planescape: Torment in the bargain bins at your store.

PT is my very favorite CRPG.

The graphics are a little funky on an XP system though. Everything works, but the spells are messy.

Actually, you should buy PT just to cast Meteor Swarm. Aweome.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I have PT but I never got much past the initial morgue place you start the game in. It didn't really grab me. I tried Arcanium but didn't like it.

Well I bought the Neverwinter Nights Platinum package, for which I am going to start a new thread! Thanks for the advice everyone.

Welverin

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I have PT but I never got much past the initial morgue place you start the game in. It didn't really grab me. I tried Arcanium but didn't like it.

That's so early in the game it doesn't even count as the beginning, it's more like the prebeginning, beginning.

So, I suggest you try again and actually wait to judge the game until after you get out of the morgue, the morgue serves the same roll Candlekeep does in Baldur's Gate.

Rackhir

Explorer
Final Fantasy VII is a great game. Certainly should be a change of pace from the Black Isle (Fallout, Baldur's Gate) stuff. Should be available cheap though you'd need a PSone or PS2 to play. There was a Windows version, but it might be difficult to track down.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I have the Morrowind gold package with all the expansions. I played for a bit but could never really figure out if there was some kind of story or if I was just supposed to wander and fight and loot or what the game was supposed to be.

Atridis

First Post
Myself, I'm all about the setting and the story. The dime-a-dozen sword & sorcery games out there bore me to tears, but Fallout was one of the best games I've ever played. With that in mind, I'll recommend 2 more of the best games I've ever played (although I'm stretching the definition of "RPG" a little):

I just finished Deus Ex: Invisible War, which wasn't quite as cool as the first one. If you're not hung up on state-of-the-art graphics, I'd go with the first one (which is simply Deus Ex). Both are first-person RPGs, with some puzzle-solving, some stealthing, some shooting, and some hand-to-hand fighting. I imagine you can get a used copy of the original on Amazon for a song.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is relatively short, but I thought that was a plus. Most games spend too much time doing nothing (it sounds like Planescape: Torment, with it's "prebeginning" would make me insane). Some people didn't like the game's brevity, though. It's a fun combination of a shooter and a stealth game, with great graphics and a cool premise (you play as Riddick and in the opening sequence, you get thrown into a "super-max" prison known as Butcher Bay). You don't need to have seen or liked the movies to enjoy the game, I don't think (I liked the first movie, not so much the second). It has a nifty hand-to-hand fighting system, too. I haven't played the "Developer's Cut", so I don't know what that offers.

Atridis

First Post
Oh, and Knights of the Old Republic is another of my "All-Time Favorite Games." I played the Xbox version, not the PC version, but that probably doesn't matter much (except that my television is much larger than my computer display).

DonTadow

First Post
YOu might want at wait a couple months as Elders SCroll IV: Obliviion should be out by then
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/index.html?q=oblivion

. It's going to be your best bet at an MMORPG without anyone there. KOtor is a nice choice for a straight forward RPG (probably the best pc ever) but theres no where near the freedom you get in a crpg nor control you get over how your character acts and what he does than there is in the Elder Scroll games.

MOrriwind is agood fix if you need it now but Oblivion should be worth the wait. .

I'm enjoying Fable more than I thought I would. It's not your typical RPG, but focuses a little more on character interaction and choices. Think part-Ultima, part-Morrowind. Some really neat touches that should be de rigeur in future RPGs.

spider_minion

First Post
Rackhir said:
Final Fantasy VII is a great game. Certainly should be a change of pace from the Black Isle (Fallout, Baldur's Gate) stuff. Should be available cheap though you'd need a PSone or PS2 to play. There was a Windows version, but it might be difficult to track down.

I would avoid the computer version of this game, as its extremely buggy. However, I've been playing Final Fantasy VIII on my PC with the aid of the ePSXe emulator. The emulation is virtually flawless and its so much nicer than playing on a playstation (though it does take a lot of work to set up properly). I plan to move onto Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross eventually. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone; the playstation has some great RPGs that still hold up well today, and all the games are available for cheap.

EDIT: Oh, I should mention that the games don't run so well unless you copy CD images to your hard drive. The Final Fantasy games, in particular, will each take up 2 or 3 gigs each :confused: . There are also some flaweless SNES emulators out there, and that system has its own fair share of classics.

Last edited:

Remove ads