• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a good mapping program.

Maldin

First Post
I use Photoshop and CorelDraw, but unless you have them already and know how to use them (I use them at work) they are expensive and have a steep learning curve. They are, however, the most flexible choice you can have.

The cheaper dedicated mapping programs all have different advantages, and it depends on what you want to map and what your taste is as far as what the final product looks like (they all do fairly different-looking maps). Take a look on the net at stuff others have done, see what style you like, and go with that program. Some have steeper learning curves then others, some more flexible then others regarding map style.

But whatever program you decide to use in the end, your design is what makes the difference between something that looks great, and something that... well... doesn't, and not what program you are using. When you have your program of choice and you're ready to map, check out my "Guide to RPG Map making" webpage for design advice at http://melkot.com/mechanics/map-guide.html
Its more-or-less program independent.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
=============================
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!

wedgeski

Adventurer
Maldin said:
But whatever program you decide to use in the end, your design is what makes the difference between something that looks great, and something that... well... doesn't, and not what program you are using. When you have your program of choice and you're ready to map, check out my "Guide to RPG Map making" webpage for design advice at http://melkot.com/mechanics/map-guide.html
Its more-or-less program independent.
Excellent article, Maldin. Thank-you.

Roadkill101

Explorer
I just bought CC2Pro, a little over 2 weeks ago. I've played around with the free demo version a few years back and liked what I could do with it, I couldn't figure out Dundjini's demo for squat by comparison (but that's just me). As deltadave pointed out, it has a steep learning curve, but if you don't mind learning the ins and outs of the software, it is possible to turn out some really nice maps.
I agree with Maldin about the included symbol sets not being all that great (unless one takes the time to learn how to edit or do their own), and the user has to know what they're doing in addition to knowing the software.
Thanks Auld Grump for the link to CC3, looks like I get a free upgrade from the CC2Pro. When I was purchasing this software I didn't see anything on Profantasy's main web page about a new software edition.

JVisgaitis said:
I use Photoshop, but that probably isn't what your looking for. Dundjinni is pretty cool, I have that. Also, a lot of people seem to like Campaign Cartographer though I think those maps look really cheap.
As a devoted CC2 user I'm biased, but it's my experience that people get out of Campaign Cartographer what they put into it. Producing maps is easy with any number of programs or methods - producing GOOD maps that do what you want, LOOk the way you want, etc. is something else. Making maps is practically a hobby of its own if you want the best maps, regardless of what software you use.

http://www.profantasy.com/cc3/ for a look at the newest version of Campaign Cartogropher that is due to be released to the early-adopters at any time now.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Man in the Funny Hat said:
As a devoted CC2 user I'm biased, but it's my experience that people get out of Campaign Cartographer what they put into it.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some good CC maps, but most of them scream cheap to me. I'm just not a fan of the graphics in the toolset. Even looking at CC3 I'm not overly impressed. It looks better, but nothing beats a good map done in Photoshop and Painter.

Edit: I do like the one map that has the Forgotten Realms look to it.

Last edited:

SidusLupus

First Post
I'll have to throw my hat in the AutoRealm arena. It's free and can do pretty much what CC2 can. That's been my impression from using the CC2 demo, and using Autorealm to make my homebrew maps.

The free part is what really sold me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads