• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a new system!!!

Muminalver

First Post
I say savage worlds too!

But you could also check out HARP from ICE.

Ok its level based, its class based, but you can do much with it, skills are plenty & its kind of modular, removing magic won't be a problem and i run that rather then 3.5 even if its d100 based. got free rules to try if your if you want to try.
Their message boards are friendly...

I'd second moongoose MRQ!!!

Then you got Dragon warriors that is about to be released, but its moore like an D&D basic red set in skill selection. but i think you can very easy bolt on a skill system to that games system.... (flaming cobra, moongoose)

dunbruha

First Post
I will put in another plug for Eldritch RPG. It has a great magic system, is skill-based, and very flexible and adaptable. The rulebook is a little disorganized, but don't let that put you off--it's a great game.

Thayan

First Post
I'm gonna plug our game, Bounty Head Bebop which has been defined as a Rules Quick. It currently is slated for printing and release later this month and should be available in Early December. It uses an Inverted20 Varient and is very skills based.

The advantage to BHB and our Inverted20 system is the one roll feature. In that you will only have to roll One d20 in any round. But you can read about the all the coolness of the setting and the rules at the publishers blog

If anyone has any questions about it please let me know and I can answer them.

Ken Burnside

First Post
Minimus and Thread Necromancy

MINIMUS - is a real find. This might be a winner, however, the 'cool' trumps realism has me a little concerned. I was the only person I know who didn't like "Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon" because people can't fly and I don't care how good his hearing is, he can't dodge arrows. Also, only because it's pure fantasy can I stand watching MATRIX, otherwise all the super moves make me ill. (Yes, I'm picky)

Read again - it's "story logic trumps realism". Very subtle and important difference.

The mechanism by which players get bonuses for skills is by narrating their actions incorporating details. The details are set by players asking clarifying questions, which sets up elements in the action that they can then incorporate into their descriptions.

As the GM, you're the arbiter of what details are appropriate, which makes it a snap to ensure that your grim, dark Hyborean fantasy doesn't turn into Bouncing Wire Fu.

It's the details you explicitly say "yes" to that can be incorporated into the description and which set the tone.

Jamfke

First Post
Hi there. Guess I will push my own little system a bit.

Simple Sixes is an easy to learn basic mechanic using 2d6 + Stat + Skill Level vs. Modified Task Ratings. The current rules are geared more toward folks that have never played an RPG before, but I find it works well for any level gamer. The PDF weighs in at just under 30 pages, and is currently free to download here at EnWorld. The rules for magic and alchemy aren't currently listed in the basic rules, but are included in One Shot Adventures, Days of Knights, currently on sale for only $5.00. You can download both of them HERE. The core rules can also be downloaded from my website's download page, HERE, under the One Shot Adventures heading.

Remove ads