• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a simple system

Jeph

Explorer
The Pool by James V. West is incredibly simple Narrativist play . . .

Sorcerer by Ron Edwards is just amazing: great rules, great theme, great implementation of theme in rules.

Oh, and how could I forget? Kill Puppies For Satan by Vincent Baker--good old sick humor fun. Very sick humor. Very fun.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I'd also recommend Decipher's LotR RPG. Just use the system in a different setting. It's similar to d20, but has some really nice, elegant rules of its own, such as a very simple, yet heroic, mass combat system.

kengar

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
I'd also recommend Decipher's LotR RPG. Just use the system in a different setting. It's similar to d20, but has some really nice, elegant rules of its own, such as a very simple, yet heroic, mass combat system.

I too was quite impressed with LOTR's take on Mass Combat. It's one of the best treatments of it I've seen in a RPG.

My issue with running LOTR is that if I were going to run that game I'd really like to run it in Middle Earth. So much effort went into capturing the feel of ME in the rules that it would seem a shame not to take advantage of that.

When I got the book several months ago, I even wrote up the beginnings of a 4th Age adventure/mini-campaign where the PCs were hobbits. When I mentioned the idea in passing to one of my players -touting the excellent work Decipher had done on the game- he replied enthusiastically.

I was quite surprised, he is a HUGE JRRT fan but an avid powergamer and d20/GURPS fan. He dislikes and distrusts new systems. Then he goes on to say "Hobbits would be perfect! I've had a great plan for years if I ever gamed in Middle Earth for tomb-raiding the Barrow Downs!" :rolleyes:

Needless to say, this didn't fit the tone of the game I wanted run. ;)

Remove ads