• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a Spell that grants DR/Cold Iron

SWBaxter

First Post
Navar said:
Is there a spell that grants DR / Cold Iron in any WOTC book? Just checking.

I dunno off-hand, but it seems like it'd be trivial to modify an existing spell (change Stoneskin from 10/adamantine to 10/cold iron and call it "Fey Aura" or some such thing, for example). Is there any particular reason why you couldn't?

Navar

Explorer
Well what I would really like to do is price a magic item that grants about DR 5/ cold iron. The reason I ask is because I already have DR / cold iron and in our game DR of the same type stacks (as long as the source is not the same) so I was trying to get an item that could help me in the DR department. I was thinking 10,000 gps would be a good price, but I am not sure. If there was a spell or existing magic item it would be a lot easier to base the price off of that.

Kerrick

First Post
Strange thing.. I was just thinking about doing some "fey spells" the other night. One that grants DR/cold iron would be perfect. Let's see... Just off the top of my head, here's a quick write-up:

Fey Aura [Nod to Baxter]
Transmutation
Caster Level: Clr 3, Drd 3, Rgr 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)
This spell grants the target DR x/cold iron, where x is 1 point per three caster levels (maximum 5). The bonus to DR stacks with the target's existing cold iron DR.
Material Component: A handful of fairy dust.

Note that barkskin also allows stacking of natural armor bonuses, and I based this spell off that one.

Navar

Explorer
Well I love that spell idea. It is perfect for what I need. To be "always on" it would cost 36,000 and provide +2, but to provide +5 it would cost 90,000. I would pay it though :)

Edit: Well demonhide (3rd level blackguard spell from Mini handbook) grants DR 10 / cold iron and good but you have to be evil. 42,000 gps would give you this constantly though. So I go back to 10,000 for an item that grants just DR 5/ cold iron (I think the "shirts" in the mini handbook are mispriced. You could get a constant use Stoneskin item for less than half the cost of one of these shirts)

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
This is cheaper than stoneskin, isn't it? I see you made it lower level too . . . of course, it caps at 5. Hrm.

Kerrick said:
Strange thing.. I was just thinking about doing some "fey spells" the other night. One that grants DR/cold iron would be perfect. Let's see... Just off the top of my head, here's a quick write-up:

Fey Aura [Nod to Baxter]
Transmutation
Caster Level: Clr 3, Drd 3, Rgr 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)
This spell grants the target DR x/cold iron, where x is 1 point per three caster levels (maximum 5). The bonus to DR stacks with the target's existing cold iron DR.
Material Component: A handful of fairy dust.

Note that barkskin also allows stacking of natural armor bonuses, and I based this spell off that one.

Shellman

First Post
Navar said:
Well what I would really like to do is price a magic item that grants about DR 5/ cold iron. The reason I ask is because I already have DR / cold iron and in our game DR of the same type stacks (as long as the source is not the same) so I was trying to get an item that could help me in the DR department. I was thinking 10,000 gps would be a good price, but I am not sure. If there was a spell or existing magic item it would be a lot easier to base the price off of that.

Here is another idea,

I believe in Savage Species, there is a feat that allows you to increase your existing DR by like +2. You might even be able to take the feat multiple times. It might be worth checking out.

Remove ads