• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a Spell that grants DR/Cold Iron

Kerrick

First Post
I'm not really sure what fairy dust is, either - I kind of pulled that off the top of my head. I'd say it's either something the fey make (something they enchant for a lot of different uses, like putting big folk to sleep), or it's something you can make from ground-up fairy wings. If you're less bloodthirsty, go with the first - it would cost around, say, 100 gp for an ounce, which is about what you'd need for the spell.

Oh, I messed up on that spell - it doesn't stack, per the rules. I forgot barkskin was a natural armor bonus, not DR. I was also thinking about fey aura granting a flat 5/cold iron, but since (as several people have pointed out) cold iron weapons are so uncommon, I might just leave it the way it is.

And since I'm already here...

Also almost no monster does bludgening damage either.

Monks do. Most (corporeal) undead do. Basically, anything with a slam attack does bludgeoning damage, and there are quite a few monsters out there with slam attacks - you'd be surprised. DR 5/cold iron is much better than 5/bludgeoning - to get around the latter, all you have to do is pick up a big stick, whereas you need a special material weapon to get around the former, and unless you commonly go fairy or devil hunting, chances are you won't have such a weapon.

moritheil

First Post
IMC morningstars and clubs are more common than swords . . . I guess it varies. If you had DR/bludgeoning your DM might actually pay closer attention to balancing out damage types.

Navar said:
No, but baddies don't often wield clubs or maces I can't think of the last NPC we ran across that did bludgening damage. Also almost no monster does bludgening damage either. That is what I was thinking. Dragons have to be old to do bludgening damage (not necessaraly "old" but claw claw bite doesn't do blunt damage I think they have to have tail slap to do it.) So it is much less common than Piercing or Slashing. If you have a better cost what would you price it at?

Navar

Explorer
ElectricDragon said:
But their attack modes do have types:

From the SRD:

Emphasis mine.

Ciao
Dave

WOW, I didn't realize that about a bite. I think that the 15,000 gp range is soundeing better and better. The only hitch I have is the Deamonhide spell being SO cheap to put on a magic item, and it granting DR 10 / Cold Iron AND Good. A Warlock can emulte Evil so he could gain the bennifets of the spell.

Remove ads