• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a "Thrower" class. Help?

TheRelinquished

First Post
I have been running a fighter in my group for a few weeks now, and he's taken on a very interesting shape within the party. He is a very skillful bastard (classic human fighter) that uses a Greatsword as his primary weapon and pair of throwing axes and daggers. The daggers are purely auxiliary while the axes are designed to be double wielded and thrown on a need-to basis.

When I began with him I wanted to push him into an unbalancing, nimble character, having taken combat expertise, improved feint, improved disarm, etc. But I've grown ever fonder of his notorious "throwing" style, often dropping weak opponents with a well placed dagger from 10 feet away, and have catered to this style with feats like precise shot and point blank shot. But now at level 9 I need to look for a prestige class to be sure I meet possible requirements. And so, on my companions' recommendations, I am seeking out a "thrower" class.

So far I've heard tell of something called a Master Thrower, but beyond that I haven't heard of anything and I honestly don't know where to look. So I've decided to beg for help here.

The question it all boils down to: anyone know any good prestige classes revolving around thrown weapons, or does anyone have any suggestions as to making one?
Thank you.
~The Reverend

Three_Haligonians

First Post
It is as you have heard.

The Master Thrower PrC is IMHO, the PrC to take.

You can find it in the Complete Warrior.

Other advice is to look in the Complete Adventurer for the feats Brutal Throw and Power Throw, which allow you to use Str instead of Dex on thrown weapon attack, and allow you to Power Attack with thrown weapons respectively.

I suggest this because you mentioned wanting to take your character away from being a "nimble fighter" and this allows you to do so without losing out on the thrown weapon deal.

Hope this helps a little,

J from Three Haligonians

the Jester

Legend
Master Thrower is the only thrown weapon prestige class I can recall, and the two feats that J from Three Haligonians mentioned are the only two thrown weapon feats I can recall seeing anywhere. I have one or two thrown weapon style feats imc as well in case you can use them-

IMPOSSIBLE THROW (General, Fighter)

You can throw a ranged weapon an incredible distance.

Prerequisites: Base attack +7, Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, Power Throw

Benefit: As a full round action you may hurl a single thrown weapon. This impossible throw doubles the thrown weapon’s normal range increment. Moreover, the weapon can travel up to fifteen range increments.

Normal: A thrown weapon can travel a maximum of five range increments.

THROWING STYLE (General, Fighter)

You are familiar with techniques for using weapons that can be thrown effectively.

Benefit: When you are armed with a weapon that is designed both to be used in melee and for throwing (including light hammers, throwing axes, daggers and spears), you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when throwing that weapon.

TheRelinquished

First Post
Thanks very much. Both of you. While the Master Thrower ended up not being exactly what I wanted, the search for it through the Complete Warrior (and Adventurer) has led me to find more than I ever could have wanted in the way of feats that will make my fighter exactly what I want, which has changed even since this thread began. That throwing style feat also seems like something I'll add to the list.

I think I'll end up moving towards a two-weapon fighting style that employs thrown weapons as well. It will just be more than anything I've ever seen, once I have the Greater two-weapon feats, as well as the Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting feat. Combined with Throw Anything, I'll be on my way to throwing bastard swords in no time. ^_^

~The Reverend

the Jester

Legend
TheRelinquished said:
I think I'll end up moving towards a two-weapon fighting style that employs thrown weapons as well. It will just be more than anything I've ever seen, once I have the Greater two-weapon feats, as well as the Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting feat. Combined with Throw Anything, I'll be on my way to throwing bastard swords in no time. ^_^

~The Reverend

Sounds very cool, you should post stats after you've made him! ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads