Looking for alternative Monk classes

SteelDraco

First Post
Felix said:
Depending on what you want to do with the character, a Fighter can be built for unarmed fighting and grappling, though you won't have the dodge bonuses or mystical goodies that the Monk class gets.
You know, I hear people say that, but I don't really agree with it. You're never going to be able to do any real damage with the unarmed strike feat. Compared to any combat character of equivalent level, you'll be dealing almost no damage, with more expensive magical bonuses and poor defenses. Grappling is a poor build for the same reason - you might be able to hinder a Medium-sized creature, or even a Large one if you play a goliath or half-ogre, but anything really big is still going to blow your grapple check out of the water. You still won't be able to knock them out - even, say, 1d3+8 (+5 Str, +2 Weapon Specialization (Unarmed), and +1 Mighty Fists) isn't going to cut it against the kind of melee threats you're going to be facing.

If you add some feats that give you an increased damage with unarmed strikes, then sure, it's going to be much more viable. But even then, I think you'd still just be playing catch-up to someone who actually carries a weapon. That's why the monk gets all those funky mystical powers - because they can't actually fight as well as a front-line warrior.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Swordsage, from Tome of Battle makes a great monk-like character, with more flexibility in abilities than a standard monk. Take Setting Sun, Diamond Mind, and Stone Dragon maneuvers, and you'll be breaking bricks (orcs), lashing out at opponents all around you, and flinging enemies like BA Baracus. ;)
Take Shadow Hand maneuvers, and you'll be a ninja wannabe.
Desert Wind maneuvers have the unreal Street Fighter energy blasts.

Even a warblade or crusader can get in on the fun. Warblade stick fighter? sounds good, thinking aboout making one for Savage Tide.
Pugilist crusader doing a flying kick as part of his leading the charge maneuver? I know you can picture it. :cool:

TheLe

First Post
GeoFFields said:
The Le Games has a book called "Unorthodox Monks." IIRC, it has 5 or 6 variant monk classes in it.

You can get it here: http://enworld.rpgnow.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=18207

Hey look at that... someone is talking about me. Unorthodox Monks is an older book, so you may find some wonky mechanics there. Still, it's a good read and you should be able to run it very well.

[imager]http://www.thele.com/TheLeGames/images/tn/NeoMonks_TheDragonlord_tn200w.jpg[/imager]I also wrote a book called Neo Monks: The Dragonlord.

Tell you what -- anyone who has posted on this thread so far can get a free copy of Neo Monks: The Dragonlord.

If any of you want a free copy, just send me am email asking for one, and I will send you a free copy. (click my name on the left and select "email", and tell me you are requesting a free copy from this thread)

The Le Games, We Enhance Words
On the Web at www.TheLeGames.com

Wish

First Post
The Player's Guide to Arcanis features several monk variants. They're a little bit world specific, but nothing that can't be adapted fairly easily. These include changes to the base monk class, as well as monk specfic prestige classes.

Felix

Explorer
SteelDraco said:
You know, I hear people say that, but I don't really agree with it. You're never going to be able to do any real damage with the unarmed strike feat. Compared to any combat character of equivalent level, you'll be dealing almost no damage, with more expensive magical bonuses and poor defenses. Grappling is a poor build for the same reason - you might be able to hinder a Medium-sized creature, or even a Large one if you play a goliath or half-ogre, but anything really big is still going to blow your grapple check out of the water. You still won't be able to knock them out - even, say, 1d3+8 (+5 Str, +2 Weapon Specialization (Unarmed), and +1 Mighty Fists) isn't going to cut it against the kind of melee threats you're going to be facing.

If you add some feats that give you an increased damage with unarmed strikes, then sure, it's going to be much more viable. But even then, I think you'd still just be playing catch-up to someone who actually carries a weapon. That's why the monk gets all those funky mystical powers - because they can't actually fight as well as a front-line warrior.
You make good points. You won't be able to dish out the damage like a Greatsword weilder is. You won't be able to grapple with Purple Worms. And you also assume that this is the point.

If you are trying to make an adventurer capable of fighting Purple Worms and Nightcrawlers, I agree that the unarmed Fighter option is not for you.

But if you are trying to model a person skilled at unarmed combat, whose blows hit like bricks, and who can take care of the tuff guys around the neighborhood (or maybe he is the tough guy in the neighborhood), then classing him with Fighter is a much better idea than giving him Monk levels. Like I said,
Depending on what you want to do with the character...
Fighter levels can produce for you a very good barroom brawler when the mystical element of the Monk would just get in the way.

Yes, this kind of combatant would shrivel when he started running into monsters size Large or larger, or ones with the Swallow Whole ability; in a mostly humanoid setting, which most cities are, this kind of combatant will thrive: he will fit in and nobody can take his weapons away from him.

---

Just as an exercise: Fighters get 5 fighter bonus feats by 8th level; they get 3 feats from levles; Humans get a bonus feat at 1st. That's 9. How does this look:

Weapon Focus (US)
Improved Unarmed Strike
Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack
Weapon Specialization (US)
Power Attack / Combat Expertise / Improved Grapple
Cleave / Improved Disarm / Stunning Fist
Greater Weapon Focus (US)

That's not a bad collection of abilities for someone who wants to fight unarmed. No, it will never be optimal for adventuring, but that's not always the point of character building.

dagger

Adventurer
Here are some...
  • Chaos Monk (DR335 p88)
  • Holy Monk (DR310 p45)
  • Hunting Monk (DR310 p45)
  • Martial Monk (DR310 p45)
  • Raging Monk (DR310 p45)
  • Sidewinder Monk (DR331 p89)
  • Steadfast Monk (DR310 p45)
  • Vigilant Monk (DR310 p45)
  • Wild Monk (DR324 p97)

TheLe

First Post
Jon Potter said:
Darn me and the whole taking lunch late today thing! :mad:

anyone with the last name of Potter deserves a book. Email me and I will fire one off to you for free, Potter.

`Le

Remove ads