• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Character build advice

ExMachina

First Post
Hi all,

I'm playing in a campaign that will probably go epic as has been hinted at least by the DM. I'm an old first edition player, but this is my first foray into 3rd/3.5.

So far I have gone with Sun Elf Mage/elf paragon and just hit 3rd level last session

Progression so far has been Wizard level 1(conjurer domain per Unearthed Arcana, not specialized)

And Elf Paragon Level 2

Future prestige classes that interest me are as follows:
Alienist (Lovecraft fan, and this looks like too much fun)
Ardent dilettane
Incantatrix
Bladesinger

I started with the Mind over body feat, and that's as far as I have gotten... I was hoping for advice on which way to build (I kinda like building towards an Alienist/dilettante progression). Also what feats should I work towards? And longbow vs rapier for Paragon bonus feat?

Thanks

Krafen

First Post
If it's not too late to do so, take a look at the Elven Wizard racial substitution levels in Races of the Wild. The first two are very nice.

Incantatrix is amazingly powerful, both for you and your party. The Cooperative Metamagic ability lets you apply metamagic feats to spells other people are casting with a Spellcraft check. The Metamagic Effect ability lets you apply metamagic feats to spells after they have been cast, also with a Spellcraft check. If your DM allows magic items with competence bonuses to Spellcraft, making the checks becomes fairly easy. An extreme example of how this can be used is to apply the Persistant Spell (24 hour duration) metamagic feat to a spell after you cast it on yourself. The two Incantatrix abilities do not have an upper limit to effective spell level, so you can apply Persistant Spell (+6 levels) to a 9th level spell for an effective 15th level spell. You can do this to a whole lot of spells each day.

In general, when planning for epic levels, a mage should take classes in multiples of 6. Note how your Base Attack Bonus and Saving Throw Bonuses all increase by one at 6th level. This is important because your BAB and Saves both stop increasing by character class when you reach epic levels and begin increasing at a flat (slow) rate. You really want to optimize your saves, and to a lesser extent your BAB, before going epic.

I strongly suggest avoiding taking classes that don't offer full spell progression unless they offer an ability you REALLY want. Your caster level is of prime importance. Anything you can do to increase it is worth looking at. One possibility many people seem to miss is the 2nd level spell create magic tattoo. At caster level 13, it can be used to give you +1 caster level. Also, the spell spell enhancer increases your caster level by 2 for the next spell you cast.

Thanee

First Post
(Composite) longbow is probably more useful, unless you actually plan to go the Bladesinger route, in which case the rapier would make more sense, of course.

Isn't longbow and composite longbow both covered with a single Weapon Focus feat? I thought so, but the UA listing seems to imply otherwise.

Incantatrix is definitely a powerful class and has some pretty fun abilities. As long as it is not heavily abused, it's quite ok, too. The Fatespinner and Archmage are two small (5 level) prestige classes, which can offer some nice abilities for higher levels.

The elf wizard racial substitution levels are very nice for elven generalists.

As for feats... you really should make up your mind as to what classes you want to obtain, because you need to cover the necessary prerequisites.

Some good feats for wizards are Quicken Spell, Empower Spell, Sudden Maximize, Extend Spell (esp. for the Incantatrix), Improved Initiative, Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Wand (esp. for the Incantatrix), Spell Penetration/Greater Spell Penetration (for area effect spells, for single target spells you can use the Assay Resistance spell from Complete Arcane), Extraordinary Spell Aim (from Complete Adventurer), Extraordinary Concentration (also from Complete Adventurer, especially nice with Telekinesis), Arcane Strike (from Complete Warrior, if you plan to go into melee with your rapier), Practiced Spellcaster (from Complete Arcane, if you have more than a single level, which does not increase your spellcasting abilities).

Bye
Thanee

ExMachina

First Post
Thanks so far Krafen and Thanee :)

Wiz substitution level 3 would be good, but don't you have to have to take the level 1 sub first? As for incantatrix, I like the class, but I'm the only spell caster (small group, just 3 players). So the other 2 are a tank and a rogue, with an npc cleric.

I guess a general question would be after spell caster level 20, you get no extra spells per day, so what good does more levels in any casting class do? I planned on getting the 3 paragon and 3 wizard before switching to alienist, and taking that til 7th. Or would the last 3 be worth it, considering the 8th lvl penalties are not so hot? that would put me at 13th level caster, and then 3 more of base wizard would get to 16th. But I wouldn't take any more wizard from there, so either I pick up another prestige, or finish alienist and start in on bladesinger. and that would have me at 20th level caster by character level 21...

does that work or is there a more 'effective progression?

Thanee

First Post
ExMachina said:
Wiz substitution level 3 would be good, but don't you have to have to take the level 1 sub first?

Nope, you can take any or all in any combination. However, the 1st is really the most useful.

As for incantatrix, I like the class, but I'm the only spell caster (small group, just 3 players). So the other 2 are a tank and a rogue, with an npc cleric.

NPC clerics cast spells, too, or not? ;)

I guess a general question would be after spell caster level 20, you get no extra spells per day, so what good does more levels in any casting class do?

Caster Level.

Bye
Thanee

Zimbel

First Post
Major spellcaster

ExMachina said:
I guess a general question would be after spell caster level 20, you get no extra spells per day, so what good does more levels in any casting class do?

If you like offensive magic, the big thing about caster level is not spells/day. It is the ability to keep up with opponent's SR, which will be common at high levels. Note that there is a feat in a couple sources (Complete Arcane is one) which will allow you to keep your caster level closer to your total level. You can also take the feats that directly affect your SR checks, but I'd suggest those in addition to keeping your caster level up.

Also note that LV 10+ spells are nice for piling metamagic on, although some of the LV 9 spells are so powerful that you may find yourself using LV 10+ slots for additional LV 9 spells.

Epic spells- well, if your DM dosen't throw limits on them, they are very very eay to break. The duration you want is Permanent. Sacrifice anything, (especially casting time) to get a number of very nice permanent effects with a low DC (say 0). Spend a few years to cast on lyour entire party. Then go out to destroy the outer plane of your choice :)

Remove ads