• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for: Good Setting Books (any edition, any game)

Ktulu

First Post
It's new, but definitely impressing me with play; Sundered Skies, by Triple-Ace Games (it's a Savage World's Campaign Setting)

This is a great ultra-fantasy setting, full of magic and weird, with one heck of a backstory. I'm using it as a 4e campaign setting right now, since it's relatively easy to make a few minor fluff changes.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Oh! I can't believe that I didn't think of this earlier! The default setting of Maelstrom Storytelling is easily the most fantastic fantasy setting I've ever encountered in a roleplaying game. Set amongst the ruins of an ancient and mysterious empire, it has fairy tale magic, flying sky galleons (with sky pirates), reality-warping magical storms, and even beatnick jazz bands that moonlight as adventurers! It's a very different kind of fantasy setting for sure. It's much more "China Miéville" than "Gary Gyagx."

meomwt

First Post
I'd mention the Al-Qadim setting again, along with the City of Delights Boxed Set which came along with it, providing a lovely setting with which to adventure.

For Shadowrun, there's also the Germany sourcebook, produced by German fans, worthy of inclusion in the list.

Finally, I'd shout out for Castle Falkenstein. Victorian Europe, complete with steam-punk, dragons, magic and dwarves. It's available in its own right as an RPG (R. Talsorian published it) or as a setting book for GURPS. Lots of Victoriana and ephemera can be pulled into this (SHerlock Holmes, Prof Challenger, etc.).

kitsune9

Adventurer
Your collection does not include the "Dark Matter" setting for Alternity - while the game is out of print, and sci fi rather than fantasy, this has been lauded as one of the best setting books ever written, period.

Agreed. I have it and it's creeeeepy. :)

kitsune9

Adventurer
You have Mystic Vistas Hamunaptra, but I had Mindshadows and Spirosblaak. I liked them both.

Black Company is also pretty decent and if you're into Wheel of Time, pick that up too.

For Iron Kingdoms, I know you have the World Guide, but I would also recommend Five Fingers which is a great city book.

johnnype

First Post
I'll second Five Fingers: Port of Deceit for Iron Kingdoms.

My favorite setting book of all time is Life on Terra Nova for Heavy Gear. Absolutely fantastic.

Do you have Ptolus? Can't see your list as I type this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads